Temecula Journals

Temecula Wine Tour

A March 2000 trip to Temecula by jaredguid

Quote: I had no idea that a drive through the mountains from Palm Springs would lead to a mini-Napa area called Temecula. We had a ball going from winery to winery and tasting/drinking/buying the wines!

Temecula Wine Tour

Cilurzo was the best! The peacocks there were very cool!

Hit all of them, and prepare to NOT finish off each glass of wine!

Take a limo tour of the area if you want to drink a lot of wine. Otherwise, a car will do just fine. Not much sitting room, so bring chairs or a blanket if you want to rest a bit.

Cilurzo Winery

Cilurzo had the best tasting wine, the nicest wine stewards, and the most interesting peacocks that freely roamed the area around the winery. Although parking was a little difficult (it was crowded when we were there), it was worth the stop! We still have four bottles at home (we're saving them for a special occasion).

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 14, 2001

Cilurzo Winery
Wine Country
Temecula, California

The scenic drive from Palm Springs to Temecula had it all - some desert landscapes, some mountains, some rolling hills, and of course the final destination ... the wineries. A complete view of California's varied topography is exactly what you get when you drive this route.

Winery Festival

Story/Tip

One of the wineries in Temecula (the name escapes me) is a large white building (almost a Southern plantation look to it) that has many vendors selling various items outside of it. My wife and I bought some homemade soap there! It was very green and lush in front of the building, so we laid a picnic blanket and took a nap (the wine may have contributed to the nap!).
There are several orange groves outside of the winery area in Temecula. The trees are right alongside the road and during picking time it would be interesting to see how the process is done. We were not there during this time, but the rolling hills covered with orange trees are neat to see.

Limousine Ride

Story/Tip

Several tour groups were in stretch limousines in Temecula, and I would strongly encourage you to do the same. Although they don't pour a full glass of wine every time you order, a whole lot of sips add up, and for safety's sake, a limo is a good investment!