Seattle Journals

Seattle Area - Sun, Snow, Salmon,and Suds

An April 2001 trip to Seattle by Tombrew

Pike Pub & Brewery Photo, Seattle, Washington More Photos
Quote: With the end of the Delta Escape Plan upon me, I used it one last time and spent a long weekend in Seattle.

Seattle Area - Sun, Snow, Salmon,and Suds

So much to do here! Pike Place Market, Space Needle, music venues, many parks, and hiking. If you can't find something to do here, yopu won't anywhere.

Do not drive on the freeway if a ballgame is going to start or end soon.

Downtown buses are free, downtown monorail, and a generally pedestrian and bike-friendly town.

Hilton Seattle Airport & Conference Center

Hotel | "Airport Hilton"

This was actually a nice place for an airport hotel. I stayed here on the special weekend rate of $79, as the downtown hotel did not have any rooms available at this rate. But it quickly became $100 since parking was $14 per day - ouch! The room was very nice, and offered a special keyboard for web access at $10 per 24 hours. As a Gold member, a very good breakfast was free. This hotel is actually very convenient if you are going to travel south, as I did on Sunday. Nearby are convenience stores, and of course the airport is only a 5 minute drive.

Hilton Seattle Airport & Conference Center
17620 International Blvd
Seattle, Washington 98188

Pike Pub & Brewery

Restaurant | "Pike Pub and Brewery"

Pike Pub & Brewery Photo, Seattle, Washington
I love brewpubs. My name is actually not Tom Brew, but is a nickname since I am a brewer of fine beers at home. Anyway, I went to this nice pub on Sunday after a long day of hiking and grave visitation. There were many on-premesis beers on tap, averaging about $3 a pints. I started with an India Pale Ale, which is a variety of British ale that is very heavily hopped. This one was delicious, with a pleasant bitterness on the front end followed by the nice sweet hoppy character. The bartender recommended a Pale Ale that was on sale for $1.50, so I tried one. It was also very good, lower key but still hoppy. I ordered a salmon platter for dinner - $12.95 - and it was really fresh and delicious. ...Read More

Pike Pub & Brewery
1415 First Ave
Seattle, Washington 98101
+1 206 622 6044

Kerry Park & Viewpoint

Attraction | "Kerry Park"

Kerry Park & Viewpoint Photo, Seattle, Washington
This is a small park in a gorgeous neighborhood that is a great place to view the city and take pics. It is in the Queen Anne section just north of downtown. To get to it, take Queen Anne St. north from the area near the Space Needle, go up a steep hill for a few blocks to Highland. Go left for two blocks and park. You are there.

Kerry Park & Viewpoint
211 W Highland Dr
Seattle, Washington

Pike Place Market

Pike Place Market Photo, Seattle, Washington
The world famous Pike Place Market is a must see for the Seattle visitor. This is where the guys toss the fish. You've seen this. It is a real experience for all of your senses. I went there on a beautiful sunny Saturday, and it was hopping. There were a lot of locals about (you can tell by the Mariners shirts)as well as tourists. There is a melting pot of people here - many Asians and native Americans. You can buy wonderful seafood for shipment anywhere, or you can order it and eat it here. I ended up getting some seafood and carrying it to the nearby park to eat with the masses. There are five levels of shops and stores in the marketplace, selling pretty much anything. The street musicians...Read More

Pike Place Market
85 Pike Street
Seattle, Washington 98101

Space Needle

Space Needle Photo, Seattle, Washington
What can you say about this thing? Built in 1962 for the Seattle Worlds Fair, this is what a lot of people think of when they hear "Seattle." The observation deck is 520 feet up, so the view is outstanding. And of course, you can buy Starbuck's coffee up there! There is a gift shop at the base selling anything you can imagine. I bought some baby stuff with the Space needle logo for my sister who is due to deliver any minute now. At the top, a guide will help you understand what you are looking at - I recommend following her, if only for a short while.

Space Needle
400 Broad Street (seattle Center)
Seattle, Washington 98109

Mount Rainier National Park

Mount Rainier National Park Photo, Mt. Rainier National Park, Washington
Well, this redneck Atlantan went unprepared - I hate taking bunches of stuff when I travel. The forecast said near 60 degrees for Seattle, so I did not bring my hiking boots or cold weather gear. I reached the park entrance, and drove up and up. After 15 miles or so, there was a sign that said that 410 was closed. The reason was that there was what appeared to be about two feet of snow on the ground, and a lot on Highway 410. I parked the car at the intersection of 410 and another road, and decided to hike the closed highway, since I lacked my boots. This was a good decision. The scenery is beautiful up here, even on a gray and snowy day (not to mention, COLD). There is total and complete sil...Read More

Mount Rainier National Park
55210 238th Ave. East
Mt. Rainier National Park, Washington 98304

Greenwood Memorial Park

Attraction | "Jimi Hendrix Grave"

Greenwood Memorial Park Photo, Renton, Washington
I had to visit the grave of the greatest guitarist who ever played. This passionate, brilliant, and sensitive man foolishly ended his life, but he left us with his music. The grave is in the Greenwood Cemetery in the town of Renton. Take 405 to Renton, go on 167 north into town, and right into the Highlands area. I was lost, and found the place by simply following intuition, so can't give real good directions. When you get to the cemetary, go inside, and the wonderful and helpful employees will give you a map to the site.

Greenwood Memorial Park