Las Vegas Journals

The Tropicana, Las Vegas

A January 2006 trip to Las Vegas by pkolev

Tropicana Resort and Casino Photo, Las Vegas, Nevada More Photos
Quote: In August 2006 I went to Las Vegas with my family and had a great time at the Tropicana Hotel and Casino.

The Tropicana, Las Vegas

Tropicana Resort and Casino Photo, Las Vegas, Nevada
I had been to Vegas before but never had I been happier with my experiences. The two things we loved the most were the Tropicana, a hotel and casino on the Strip, and the Mamma Mia show we saw at the Mandalay Bay. The Tropicana was one of the cheapest hotels on the Strip but was excellent. When we got there our room wasn't ready so as to not make us wait they gave us a free upgrade to a nicer room. We also got booklets with coupons for their shows, food at their restaurants and snack bars, and the casino. The service was warm and friendly. The room was spacious and very clean. The pool is not huge but is still very nice. I went there with family that was visiting us from overseas and they had never...Read More

Tropicana Resort and Casino

Hotel | "The Tropicana Hotel Casino"

For more details you can read my overview but if I have to describe the Tropicana with a few words I'd say: lovely, reasonably priced, clean, warm, and cosy. Fun and courteous staff. Highly recommended. I plan to stay there any time they have availability and it's the first hotel I check the prices for because it's such a great value for its location. You won't regret staying there, especially in their Island Tower rooms which are very clean and spacious.

Tropicana Resort and Casino
3801 Las Vegas Blvd. South

Sherwood Forest Cafe

Restaurant | "Sherwood Forest Cafe at the Excalibur Hotel Casino"

This restaurant saved us! We wanted to eat late, after we saw Mamma Mia at the Mandalay Bay, which ended at 10:30pm. Strangely the bigger restaurants in the hotels nearby were all closed at this hour, but then we stumbled upon the Sherwood Forest Cafe. It's really a restaurant not a cafe, with beautiful interior and table cloth and all. They served all kinds of food: steaks and fries, pasta, sandwiches and burgers, seafood, even breakfast food. Everything we ordered was very tasty and huge portions. The prices are excellent for the quality of the food and the service, not to mention that it's open 24/7! I plan on eating there again.

Sherwood Forest Cafe
Excalibur Hotel Casino

Tropicana Las Vegas

Attraction | "Celebration Lounge at the Tropicana"

Tropicana Resort and Casino Photo, Las Vegas, Nevada
This hotel lounge is so much fun! They have a great fun band, that interacts with the public and creates a great vibe. They even didn't mind that my underage cousin sat on a table with us (of course he only had soda). Check out my picture where my cousin is dancing with one of the cute singers.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 26, 2006

Tropicana Las Vegas
3801 South Las Vegas Boulevard
Las Vegas, Nevada

Lion Habitat at the MGM Grand

Attraction | "Lion Habitat at the MGM Grand Hotel Casino"

Lion Habitat at the MGM Grand Photo, Las Vegas, Nevada
The MGM has an amazing lion habitat, which is free and is right by one of the casino entrances. The animals are kept in this glass cage-like area. It's absolutely safe and so much fun to watch those beautiful creatures. Kids love it. They rotate their lions twice a day so we got to see two big ones, and later in the day two cubs that were so playful and fun. They kept chasing each other around and playing. Sometimes the lions will be very close to the glass so you can take pictures next to them that come out decent. I could have stayed there watching them for hours and I'm 25! It's a lovely way to catch a break from the heat outside, walking and shopping, and the kids won't get bored and restless.

Lion Habitat at the MGM Grand
3799 Las Vegas Blvd South
+1 702 891 1111; +1

This show is amazing. Young or old, ABBA lover or not, everyone loves this show. Absolutely worth the money. It just makes you want to jump out of your seat and sing along and dance. Before you buy tickets, make sure to look through all the free Las Vegas magazines that you can grab anywhere, because those often times have 2 for 1 show ticket coupons and other deals (such as a restaurant voucher with purchase of a show ticket). I'd add pictures but those aren't allowed during the show, but no picture can capture the energy and fun that Mamma Mia is. Next time I'm in Vegas I plan on seeing it again!