St. Augustine Journals

Charms, Chills, and Chomps in St. Augustine

A September 2006 trip to St. Augustine by HF Hobson

Fountain of Youth Photo, St. Augustine, Florida More Photos
Quote: St. Augustine surpassed my expectations on my cozy weekend getaway.

Charms, Chills, and Chomps in St. Augustine

Downtown fountain Photo, St. Augustine, Florida
St. Augustine is America's oldest city and it certainly lives up to its old world reputation. There are a variety of places to learn about, it's history as a Spanish fort, swashbuckling pirate activity, and New World exploration.The quaint historic district is reminiscent of New Orleans with its narrow brick lined streets and overhead balconies. And with dozens and dozens of unique shops you'll be sure to find unique souvenirs. And what a relief it was to see that St. Augustine hasn't been overrun with chain retail stores and tacky mall bistros!Quick Tips: If you're hungry don't wait until late in the evening to grab a bite. Even on Saturdays restaurants in the historic district don't...Read More

Cozy Inn

Hotel | "The Cozy Inn"

Cozy Inn Photo, St. Augustine, Florida
The Cozy Inn is an adorable B&B and motel right down the street from all the attractions. We stayed in the motel section which was an absolute bargain at $62 per night. The room was small but very clean and recently renovated. It included a microwave and a mini-fridge. The manager Dollie was adorable and helpful. I highly recommend The Cozy Inn!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 20, 2006

Cozy Inn
202 San Marco Ave.
St. Augustine, Florida 32084
904-824-2449

I'm a big fan of ghost tours and I seek them out whenever I'm traveling to a new place. I still haven't met any ghosts but I keep trying. The Sheriff's Ghost Walk was a mediocre tour. The tour guide was very enthusiastic and the 90-minute tour was a steal at $10. But I felt like it was a history and tall tales tour. There were no spooky ghost stories, just tales of eccentric St. Augustinians of the past. I'd check out one of the other tours instead.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on September 20, 2006

Sheriff's Ghost Walk
18th Saint George St.
St. Augustine, Florida
(904) 797-1950

Fountain of Youth

Fountain of Youth Photo, St. Augustine, Florida
Of course we know there is no such thing as a Fountain of Youth, and some of the sites here are a little kitschy, but I enjoyed this little off the beaten path experience. For all of $6.50, $6 with a coupon, I learned quite a bit about the place where Ponce De Leon first set foot in St. Augustine in 1513. And I got to drink from the original, the one and only Fountain of Youth. At such an affordable admission charge, who could say no? And in this nicely landscaped park peacocks roam free among the visitors.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on September 20, 2006