New York Journals

my favorite nyc restaurants and bars

A travel journal to New York by shoppingbebe

Quote: well, i probably go out 4-5 nights a week in Manhattan and I've definitely found some favorite places- i tend to like more glam spots but I think anyone could have a good time at my picks.

my favorite nyc restaurants and bars

The thing about NYC is that there is so much diversity that even when you find an incredible place, you are hesitant to go back because there's ALWAYS something else out there that is just as good that you've never tried. check out what I think...but if you're looking for a casual pub or a low-key place, I may not be the guide for you. If you are going on a first date, I have lots to tell you.

Pastis

Restaurant | "Pastis - French Restaurant"

Pastis is a little more relaxed than Balthazar, but still something of a scene. I remember coming in out of a snowstrom and being told to wait at the bar even though we had reservations and tables were empty...tons of attitude, but when I took off my coat and the hostess complimented me on an Yves St. Laurent skirt, we got seated immediately. So be prepared for incidents like that. Otherwise, it's pretty reliable bistro fare. Another word of warning- the service is very rushed. When we said we needed a few minutes, our waitress asked us to quantify how many exactly!!!!!!! so I would say it's worth checking out- once.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on April 17, 2001

Pastis
9 Ninth Ave
New York, New York 10014
+1 212 929 4844

The Park

This place is new and can be terminally chic some nights and straight outta Jersey on others, so the crowd is pretty hit or miss. But the space is incredible (3 converted taxi garages) and includes a huge tree in the middle of the dining area. It's really like 3 or 4 different places in one- check out the dark, red-lit lounge in the back. Cool touches- hundreds of back issues of National Geographic lining the walls, a couch made from a huge piece of driftwood. The food is nothing to write home about, but the steak salad is OK. Really more a place to go for drinks than dinner, although the drinks are expensive ($17 glass of champagne!)let somebody else take you here ;)

The Park
118 10th Avenue
New York, New York

Torch

I actually had a great dinner here. Fabulous creative cocktails, and impressive seafood- a pleasant surprise. The torch singers live are pretty cool when you're drinking, but loud and distracting when you're trying to have dinner- keep this in mind. This place is hard to find, not labeled at all and on a really shitty street (in my opinion.) But it is a really sexy place to go for drinks- and you can check out Kush afterwards, probably one of the only other decent bars in the area. Personally, not a big fan of the lower east side, so that may color my opinion here :)

Torch
Lower East Side
New York, New York

Rocking Horse Cafe Mexicano

Restaurant | "Rocking Horse Cafe"

This is an incredible place to get some margaritas and good mexican food- it's small and crowded but has really good energy. This is chelsea, so expect the male/female ratio to be 90%/10%- not a big hetero pickup spot :) I had some great salmon here. Sit at the bar and eat their yummy tortilla plates while you wait for a table, it's usually a full house.

Rocking Horse Cafe Mexicano
182 Eighth Ave
New York, New York 10011
+1 212 463 9511

Punch

i actually didn't eat here, but my boyfriend was pretty disappointed in the food. again, a place for drinks, convenient to metronome and chicama and cute places in union square. go upstairs to the lounge- they have freaky swirling lights and roomy banquettes. this is kind of a place where you meet your friends before you go on to a real destination, but it's still convenient and decent.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on April 17, 2001

Punch
913 Broadway
New York, New York 10010

One if by Land, Two if by Sea

Wow. What can I say about this place- they aren't kidding when they call it the most romantic restaurant in NYC. Firelit space in Alexander Hamilton's old townhouse is gorgeous, and this is truly traditional fine dining. My boyfriend took me there for our anniversary- it's that kind of place. Supposedly they get half a dozen marriage proposals a week, and you can see why. Very heavy continental cuisine, nothing nouveau or fusion about this place- it's Beef Wellington and scotch all the way. The vibe can be a little staid but it's definitely an experience. Great food, little touches so attentive that doggy bags are gilt-stamped shopping bags with real napkins included. that says it all!

One if by Land, Two if by Sea
17 Barrow St.
New York, New York 10014

Canteen

This place is equally good for drinks or dinner. The decor can be a little jarring (bright orange chairs) but it's a very sleekly designed room. I had the absolutely best tuna tartare with avocado in my life- exquisite. I don't even bother ordering it anywhere else. I'd say check it out, but if you're right there, i like the mercer kitchen better.

Canteen
142 Mercer St
+1 212 431 7676

Mercer Kitchen

Love mercer kitchen! This is in the Mercer Hotel, with a cocktail lounge when you walk in- the restaurant is in the basement and has some of the best food in NYC. Expect to pay for it, though. Make sure to get the french fries, they come in lovely little silver buckets and are to die for.

Mercer Kitchen
99 Prince St
+1 212 966 5454

Centro-Fly

This is a trippy place, and everyone I know has a somewhat out-of-control night when they come here (not in a bad way, in a crazy way.) Several different rooms and a dance floor- one room is all lit up (floors, ceiling, everything) bright pink dotted with huge black and white swirl designs- this can get a little dizzying after you partake in whatever is your game ;) Saw incredible french DJ dimitri, so it was a little euro but i'm sure the DJ somewhat determines the crowd. Definitely a place to come and let loose!

Centro-Fly
45 West 21st St
New York, New York 10010
+1 212 627 7770

Merc Bar

i've been here on a date and with a group, and i like it both ways. this is a gorgeous, dim, sexy candlelit space that is very comfortable. i usually go to several bars when in soho but i could actually see staying here most of the night. the waitresses are really nice as well- this place is definitely a winner. i can't see anyone being made to feel uncomfortable here (unlike places like Pastis).

Merc Bar
151 Mercer St

Whiskey Park

Total make-out bar. If you're a fan of cozying up in dark corners, this is a great place for you. i looked around and it was pretty much exclusively couples there. 2 guys having a drink next to us looked distinctly uncomfortable. Not a loud place for a group- noise level is very low, probably because everyone is kissing each other! Not a good place for you if you're uncomfortable with PDA. great if you're in the mood for some! Nice service, nice space.

Whiskey Park