St. Augustine Journals

St. Augustine, Oldest U.S. City

An August 2006 trip to St. Augustine by sccrn123

Quote: St. Augustine offers a plethora of activities such as the historic district, the beach, or one of the many Florida State parks. It's one of my favorite destinations because no matter how many times I return I am always amazed by something new this Oldest City offers!

A1A Ale Works

Any time I am asked to refer a restaurant to eat at in St. Augustine, A1A is the first one to come to mind. They offer wonderful seafood, Floribbean flare, delectable burgers... not to mention their beer brewed on site. During the summer they offer an unfiltered Summer Wheat beer that is lovely. They have a deal where you get to taste all their beers (in smaller glasses, of course). Their beer-cheese soup is to-die-for! Plank-seared salmon with havarti dill sauce is wonderful. For dessert try the white chocolate cherry bread pudding, it's one of the best I have ever had. The ambiance is nice as well, downstairs there is a pub-like atmosphere, whereas upstairs is more formal. There is also a balcony...Read More

A1A Ale Works
1 King Street

Cafe Del Hildago

Restaurant | "Cafe del Hidalgo"

I am an ice cream fanatic, more specifically a gelato fanatic after trying this cafe's fares. Their creamy gelato comes in many different flavors that apparently rotate, as I see new ones each time I go. They also offer soup and panini sandwiches, salads, and various soups depending on the time of year.

Cafe Del Hildago
35 Hypolita Street

San Sabastian Winery

Attraction | "San Sebastian Winery"

San Sebastian Winery is several blocks from the historic district. They offer a tour of the winery and complementary wine tasting. After hours, there is a wine and jazz bar upstairs. San Sebastian holds an annual grape stomping festival at the end of August. During this, they offer a full tour of their winery, in comparison to the shortened one they offer the rest of the year. San Sebastian wines are made with muscadines (a grape native to the South-eastern states) and a hybrid grape that was made at the University of Florida. They have sweet and dry reds and white wines, port (which I highly recommend), sherry, sparkling white wine, as well as a gourmet food section. During the tour and t...Read More

San Sabastian Winery
157 King St.

Fort Matanzas National Monument

Attraction | "Fort Matanzas"

A ferry boat takes you from the mainland over to this National Monument island. I have been to the Castillo De San Marcos in St. Augustine several times throughout my life and every time it is crawling with people.

Fort Matanzas if off the beaten path, leaving you elbow room to explore... even during Florida's high tourist season. The fort, located on Rattlesnake Island, is made of coquina stone, same as the Castillo, placed on top of pine pilings driven into the marshy ground to give stability. There is an educational video at the office before you cross on the ferry, as well as a tour guide who can answer any questions that weren't covered in the video.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 6, 2006

Fort Matanzas National Monument
8635 A1A South
St. Augustine, Florida 32084

A short drive from the historic district of St. Augustine is Anastasia State Park. Here you can bask in the sun, listening to the Atlantic waves crashing on the beautiful white beach while you work on your tan. There are areas for fishing, jet-skiing, sailing... you can boogie board or surf if you catch the tide and the wind right on some pretty big waves. There are very pretty shells if you walk along the water. Anastasia was my favorite beach until recently, and still rates pretty high on my scale of state parks. It's proximity to things in St. Augustine is a definite draw.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 6, 2006

Anastasia State Recreation Area
Highway A1A
(904) 461-2033

My husband and I live about an hour and half to two hour drive from St. Augustine, and although we always talk about going some place new we always end up there. If you are thinking that this might get boring you would be incorrect. It is one of my favorite destinations because no matter how many times I return I am always amazed by something new this Oldest City offers! This visit my husband and I took a ghost tour, offered at night in the historic district. There are several to choose from: haunted pub tour, haunted hearse ghost tour, or plain walking ghost tour. We have been on the pub tour and the walking tour several times. Each time we take the walking tour we hear new stories about ...Read More