St. Petersburg Journals

A Date With Dali

A March 2001 trip to St. Petersburg by willow

Quote: I think I'm still trying to sort out just how I feel about this pig in a poke vacation I purchased from www.bid4vacations.com.

A Date With Dali

Last December I submitted a winning bid of for what I thought was a weekend vacation at Clearwater Beach. Upon our arrival, we learned that our lodgings were on St. Petersburg Bay. After the initial disappointment, we had a grand time visiting St. Petersburg's trendy downtown area, a couple of museums and yes we did find the beach.

Allow extra driving time to allow for busy traffic and chaotic road design.

Expect to pay for parking in the downtown area and wear comfortable walking shoes.

Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort St. Petersburg Marina Cove

Hotel | "Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort"

The resort is decorated in a colorful cabanna style. The gardens, beach and pool areas are well kept. Our standard double room featured a small refrigerator and coffee maker. The hotel restaurant was convenient and we ate two meals there rather than drive. The accomodations were okay for what we paid but I would not pay the list price of $179 per night. The sunset view from the bayside beach was magnificent! We spent a restful evening at waterside listening to live guitar from the hotel bar. The pools looked inviting. The weather was still too cool for swimming, but we watched some brave parents with persistent youngsters take a dip.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 16, 2001

Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort St. Petersburg Marina Cove
6800 Sunshine Skyway Lane
St Petersburg 33711
727-867-1151

Deli

Restaurant | "The Deli"

Located at the marina, just behind the Dali Museum is a deli to die for! The view of the bay is awesome. The sandwiches are thick slabs of fresh bread piled high with the very best meat, cheese and fresh vegetables. We shared the outside terrace with the birds and one other couple. The hibiscus were beautiful, the breeze was cooling, this was my favorite meal of the weekend.

Deli
Behind the Dali Museum
St. Petersburg, Florida

The Pier

Five stories of fun and food on the water. We made a quick detour around most of the mall shops and spent an hour on the observation deck watching the sailboats. There was an outdoor Blues festival going on next door and the music carried well on the gentle breeze. A street clown stole my heart when he gifted me with a balloon twisted into a pink heart around a blue bear.

Our visit did not coincide with meal time so we didn't try any of the restaurants. But, the Columbia looked inviting.

Admission to The Pier Aquarium is free. The tropical tanks are exquisite with just enough educational information to catch your interest.

The Pier
2nd Ave NE
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701

The Dali Museum

Attraction | "Salvador Dali Museum"

Words can never describe the gauche genius of Dali's expressionism. The museum houses a large collection of Dali watercolors, graphics, drawings and sculptures. I was amazed to see his earlier works of impressionism, these alone would have marked him for greatness. The guide did a wonderful job walking us through this evolution of art. We pitied the indulged yet deprived young Dali who sought escape through bizarre artistic expression. Eccentric or not he was the greatest artist of our century. Photography is prohibited inside the museum, but we bought posters, bookmarks and framed prints at the gift shop. Visit online @ www.salvadordalimuseum.org to se...Read More

The Dali Museum
One Dali Boulevard
St. Petersburg 33701

Florida International Museum

Attraction | "The Florida International Museum"

Caught in a brief spring shower, we ducked inside the museum to escape the rain and revisit some history. The Cuban Missile Crisis exhibit brings back some cold war memories which blighted my childhood. The infectious fear of school children crouching under their desks in expectation of nuclear annilation is still real to me. The exhibit does a wonderful job of recreating the home and classroom of the not so distant 1960's. My husband and I marveled in delight as we recognized dishes, furnishings and clothing from an era that is not yet viewed as antique. Nostalgia for childhood memories is sweet and remembrance of what almost was is sobering. The Cuban Missile Crisis Exhibit tells...Read More

Florida International Museum