Santo Domingo Journals

3 Days in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

An August 2006 trip to Santo Domingo by janelle_samuels

Quote: My husband and two sons went to visit the city of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. We decided to tour the city as if we were natives instead of visiting all of the touristy areas. We wanted to get to know the city.

Zona Colonial

Zona Colonial is full of things to do. There, you can see the first cathedral built in 1541. You can also get a free tour, but donations are welcome. There is a Hard Rock Cafe, a Larimar/Amber museum, and many stores to shop at. There are many street vendors selling there too. If shopping or architecture don't interest you, you can sit down and take in the city.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on September 11, 2006

Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
+1 809 687 4722

Everyone goes for the beaches but why not explore the city and see what Santo Domingo is really like? Why not travel around the city and see where the locals go and what they do? Santo Domingo has great beaches and is a great city full of friendly and dedicated people. My family and I took a tour of the city neighborhoods and met local people. They were very friendly and welcoming. I got to learn about the Dominican culture and their way of life. For a brief moment in time, I was able to immerse myself in their way of life.

About the Writer