Chicago Journals

Weekend in Chicago

An April 2005 trip to Chicago by purelily

Quote: Lots of eating and partying up in Chi-town!

Weekend in Chicago

We loved the deep dish pizza and lively nightlife.

Talk to the locals for the best non-touristy areas.

Don't wear high-heels and just walk!

Gino's East

I've had a craving for real Chicago deep dish pizza for weeks, so we stopped at Gino's east.. sad to say it was definitely not up to par with Giordano's or Lou Malnati's... but the garlic bread with mozzarella was awesome! At the end, got Lisa ice-cream with a candle for her birthday.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on August 26, 2006

Gino's East
633 N Wells St
Chicago, Illinois 60610

Greek Islands

It is located in Greek Town. We ordered several appetizers and salads, including fried saganaki cheese, which they flambe at your table with a big "opah!" Well, our waiter gave us a sort of lame opah... but we enjoyed everyone else's opah!

We were stuffed, but of course we had to get dessert! I had flan and chocolate cake with tea/coffee. I had asked the waiter to sing for Lisa's birthday, but he got the wrong person and gave Karen the candle instead!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 27, 2006

Greek Islands
200 South Halsted St
Chicago, Illinois 60661

Bootlegger's

Attraction | "Bootleggers"

What a fun crowd! It was one of their friends' birthdays, we were all dancing. You can request songs from the DJ, too! We also went to 22. We expected a chill sports bar, but when we got there, it was actually a trendy bar with very loud techno music. I'm not sure if there was cover or not because, luckily, a friend was outside and brought us in.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 27, 2006

Bootlegger's
13 West Division St
Chicago, Illinois 60611
+1 312 266 0944

Day 1

Story/Tip

We started the trip by shopping down the magnificent mile. Then we had lunch at this funky joint called Jimmy's and enjoyed a delicious roast beef sub. We walked over to the Art Institute to see my favorite Impressionist paintings. I've had a craving for real Chicago deep dish pizza for weeks, so we stopped at Gino's East. Sad to say, it was definitely not up to par with Giordano's or Lou Malnati's... but it was good enough to tide me over till my next visit to Chi-town. The garlic bread with mozzarella was awesome! At the end, we got Lisa ice cream with a candle for her birthday.