Paris Journals

An American Dog in Paris

A September 2000 trip to Paris by karli

Quote: Hi. My name is Karli. I'm half German Shepherd and half yellow Lab. Last fall I was an American dog in Paris.

An American Dog in Paris

Chasing ducks under the Eiffel Tower. Running around the Pyramid at the Louvre. Chasing pigeons in front of Notre Dame. Eating jambon buerre baguettes on the Champs Elysees.

Watch your step. Parisian dogs poo in gutter - and sometimes the sidewalk - and no one picks up.

Walking around Paris is the best. Lots of pigeons to chase. And rats on Boulevard St. Germain!
We rented an apartment. It had two bedrooms and sometimes I slept on the beds but mostly on my bed that we brought from home. We had a modern kitchen and a modern bathroom where I once had a bath. It was on the troisieme etage. And there were three or four cats that lived in the courtyard! They were not friendly.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 6, 2001

5th Arrondissment
Rue de la Montagne Ste. Genevieve

Restaurant | "

This was a really nice place to stop on a rainy afternoon. And no one was mad that I was a wet dog.

Really modern and clean. Big windows to look outside.

We got a lot of really good breads and spreads. My mom got soft boiled eggs, my dad got jambon and my aunt said it was the best chocolat chaud ever. But she didn't let me try it.

Sandwich Stands & Boulangeries

Restaurant | "Any Sandwich Stand or Boulangerie"

This was our favourite boulangerie for sandwiches and luckily it was right down the hill from our apartment. They don't allow dogs inside but that's OK because you can get the best stuff from a big counter outside. I liked the jambon fromage buerre sandwiches the best. Really fresh bread, crispy on the outside and a little chewy on the inside.

Sandwich Stands & Boulangeries
Place Maubert

Berthillon

Restaurant | "Berthillon Ice Cream Shop"

We got ice cream from the window outside. My mom had some chocolate mix, my dad had some melon sorbet, my aunt had cafe, and i had vanille. It was good, but I've had better. And they were mean to dogs inside. They wanted me to lie down under the table but I'm too big.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on April 6, 2001

Berthillon
31 Rue Saint-louis-en-l'ile
01 43 54 31 61

Crepe Stands

This was our favourite crepe stand. The men who make the crepes don't smile but they're really careful how they make your crepe - fresh from batter not reheated crepes - and they put lots of good stuff in it. I loved the jambon fromage. My mom and aunt loved the chocolat but they never let me eat chocolate - bad for dogs - but my dad always let me try his buerre sucre.

Crepe Stands
Place Contrascarpe

Quick

We like to order whatever's on special at Quick. The cheeseburgers are really good. The cheese is really good. All the cheese is good in France. But I only get to have a little.

Quick
Les Jardins du Luxembourg

Chez Clovis

Chez Clovis is our favorite bistro. It's one of the last real bistros left from the old Les Halles food market days. We love their chicken and vegetable stew. The owners and waiters love to tell stories about Paris. And they let me sit up in the booths.

The park across the street is really fun during the day. Lots of bushes to explore and pigeons to chase but don't go there at night.

Chez Clovis
33, rue Berger
01 42 33 97 07

We went to watch the election coverage last fall. It was really crowded. The older men who work there look kind of mean but they are really nice. They pet me and told us where we could go inside where it was better for a dog.

Harry's New York Bar
5 rue Daunou
Paris, France 75002
+33 1 42 61 71 14

Jardin des Tuileries

Attraction | "Tuilerie garden"

We walked through the whole garden but at the end over by the ferris wheel a mean man with a Rottweiler told us dogs weren't allowed. Duh! What about your dog mister? We guessed that he was a guard and that was a guard dog. But there were no signs where we went in, only where we went out. It was nice with lots of trees and flowers. I ran around and got tired.

Dogs are allowed around the outside of the garden but it's not much fun.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on April 6, 2001

Jardin des Tuileries
Rue De Rivoli

Samaritaine

I really like shopping at the Animalerie because they let me sniff and even lick the bunnies in the cages! The nice people who work there thought it was really funny. All the puppies kept barking at me!

It's the best place to buy the same kind of food that I eat at home.

And my mom and aunt bought me a stupid harness there. They said it was better than my collar which sometimes pulled at my neck when I was trying to chase the cats in our courtyard.

Samaritaine
19, Rue De La Monnaie
+33 1 40 41 20 20

Colette

There's a dog named Oscar whose dad owns the store. He's a big chocolate lab. He kept wanting to play with me but he's such a dork!

It's a nice store with nice stuff and they have a cafe downstairs with a water bar with water from around the world. I like any kind of water.

Colette
213, rue St Honoré
+33 1 55 35 33 90

For dogs

Story/Tip

POO/PEE Try to go in the gutter. The street cleaners will wash it out with water. People don't pick up dog poo on the sidewalk. Sometimes a street cleaner on a vaccuum motorbike will clean it up. Sometimes I didn't make it to the gutter and my family always picked up and Parisians stopped and stared. Like it's better to leave it? FOOD/WATER You can find most of the premimum American brands at the Animalerie at Samaritaine. Make sure to check out the bunnies! And the tap water is good. PARKS/GARDENS Dogs are not allowed in most parks and gardens! You'll see round signs with a picture of a dog and a slash through it that says "chiens interdit - meme tenus en la...Read More

About the Writer