Savannah Journals

Savannah Riverwalk/ Baystreet

A July 2006 trip to Savannah by watsonmonkeysmom

Travel Photo by IgoUgo memberMore Photos
Quote: Things my family and I have done in and around Savannah, GA.

Savannah Riverwalk/ Baystreet

There are a ton of great things to do in Savannah, if you only had a day or two to spend, I would check out the Riverwalk, and Tybee Island. Those are the two things that "make" Savannah in my mind. The Riverwalk is in the Historic District of Savannah, and there are a lot of walking/guided tours you can go on. Tybee Island is a beach, what else need I say? It's one of the cleanest beaches I have ever been to, and there are a ton of wooden swings. Quick Tips: There is a City Tourism office on the Riverwalk. Check it out--it has a ton of cool things to do in Savannah, a public restroom and great brochures/discount coupons. While you are here, brush up on your history and go on one of the many ...Read More

Lady and Sons

Restaurant | "The Lady and Sons"

We had heard of this restaurant from the Travel Channel and several friends who have been here. This restaurant is two stories, and you can request to sit either one. There is a buffet on each floor, and when you get the buffet, you get unlimited trips, dessert, and a drink. They also have a decent menu. Their specialty is Southern cooking. I thought it was greasy, but I'm a "Yankee." My husband thought it was delicious (native Southerner).

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 14, 2006

Lady and Sons
102 W Congress St.

Season's Asian Bistro

Restaurant | "Seasons Asian Bistro"

Voted the #1 Asian restaurant in Savannah, we had to try it out...

This was a great experience! The decor is beautiful, and looks almost like a jungle and I thought it was very relaxing. It has an extensive menu, including sushi, steak, and many other options. You can "customize" your meal: with any entrée, you can ask for the meat in it to be steak, chicken, shrimp, or tofu. The sushi here is fresh and original, and has beautiful presentation. The service was excellent and the iced tea was refreshing after a long day on the riverwalk. A perfect way to end the night!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 14, 2006

Season's Asian Bistro
125 East Broughton Street

Dolphin Reef Oceanfront Restaurant

Restaurant | "Blue Dolphin Hotel "

This hotel is right on the beach, and the restaurant is actually on the top floor so you are looking at the ocean while you dine.

The menu is mostly seafood, and entrees are not too expensive. My family ordered 2 entrees, 2 childrens meals, and appetizer and teas for us all, and it came out to $45. The food was great, the crab and shrimp are awesome.

This restaurant does breakfast lunch and dinner, we ate there during each meal. Service is always great, and the restaurant is impeccably clean.

Friday nights are buffet night, and they have an oyster bar, sushi, crab legs, and many other goodies. Dessert was included (and delicious!)

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on September 11, 2006

Dolphin Reef Oceanfront Restaurant
Oceanfront at 15th Street
Tybee Island, Georgia 31328

Savannah Candy Kitchen Photo, Savannah, Georgia
If you're taking a walk down the riverwalk, it's hard to NOT stop here! Every time we've walked the riverwalk, we end up in Savannah Candy Kitchen because of the smell, and it just looks soooo good.

One of the few places that makes its own candy, you can hand pick which pieces you would like, and watch it being made. The candy apples here are GREAT! They also sell gift tins of candy, ice-cream, and pretty much any other sugary temptation you can think of.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on September 28, 2006

Savannah Candy Kitchen
225 E River St

Ghosts of Savannah

Ghosts of Savannah Photo, Savannah, Georgia
This tour was great, and we all enjoyed it thoroughly. We were told to meet our grout (at the cemetery!) at 11pm. Our guide met us, and was very "into character" and made us all laugh--and a few of us scream! There were many interesting stories (I don't want to spoil any of it, so I'm trying not to go into detail), and a lot of local history also.

One piece of advice: if you are bringing a stroller, make sure it is good with rugged terrain, as the little umbrella strollers are hard to maneuver on the streets there. This was a great way to spend an hour, and great way to learn something new about the area. I will be taking all my visitors to this tour when we are in Savannah again!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 14, 2006

Ghosts of Savannah
Historic District of Savannah
Savannah, Georgia 31401

I would not recommend this tour to anyone, and have contacted the company to let them know how disappointed I was in this tour. The website and brochures for this tour make it look awesome and interesting. There were some interesting historical facts, but not enough to fill up 43 minutes, and certainly not enough to take up 90 minutes. I suggest going on The Ghosts of Savannah Tour, or the Sixth Sense tour instead. They are much better and well worth the money.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on September 26, 2006

Haunted History Tour
512 E.Oglethorpe Ave.
(912) 6043007

Fourth of July

Story/Tip

I love Savannah's fireworks display! We came to Savannah for the first time to view the fireworks and to check out the parade/festivities on the Riverwalk. We got there around 2pm (parked in the garage and walked to the Riverwalk) and had some ice cream and COLD teas, and just planned what we were going to do. We ended up browsing the local shops, reading the restaurant menus, and just taking in the sights. There were a ton of little "shows" going on, several put on by the students of SCAD (Savannah college of art and design). There was an older man playing the saxophone that we stopped and listened to; he does take requests. Then we jumped aboard the ferry. We were surprised to find tha...Read More