London Journals

Street Markets and Pubs of London

A January 2005 trip to London by Kathy

Brompton Hotel Photo, London, England More Photos
Quote: I have been to London 20 times in the past 8 years and really love it. We usually stay in the Earls court area because it is served by the Piccadilly and the District lines and there are lots of pubs and restaurants in the area.

Street Markets and Pubs of London

Albert Bridge Photo, London, England
I really never get sick of London.
We often due a day trip or an overnight trip.
See my journals on Cambridge, Greenwich and Bath.
I have another more informative journal with lots of sightseeing information but with all the pubs and wonderful street markets I thought I would like to do a separate journal with just information on those things.

As far as any of the street markets go check the days of operations first.
Some are open only on the weekend and some are on weekdays.

The tube is the best way to get around.
The cost for a daily ticket is £4 (). There is also a weekender ticket for £6.

Brompton Hotel

Hotel

Brompton Hotel Photo, London, England
Cost was £75.00
The best thing about the hotel was the location. Just steps away from the South Kensington Tube.
As with the Swiss House you need to ask for a room facing the back as the traffic on Brompton goes all night and is very loud.
The room had a nice bathroom and hairdryer and breakfast was included and brought up to the room, it was coffee, juice, toast and a hard boiled egg.
The price and location make this place a deal. The Swiss House down the street is a little bit higher but nicer and much better breakfast.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on March 28, 2001

Brompton Hotel
30 Old Brompton Road

Best Western Burns Hotel Kensington

Hotel | "The Burns Hotel"

Best Western Burns Hotel Kensington Photo, London, England
This is a Best Western Hotel and one of the nicer hotels I have stayed at in London. The price of £75 is the internet price. See website above. The regular price is £145 The rate includes tax and very nice continental breakfast. The Burns is a short walk from the Earls Court Tube and there are several nice pubs and Italian, Indian, and Thai restaurants within two blocks. Also the staff at the Burns is very nice and both times we stayed there we got early check-in. They said we could store our bags there if the room wasnt ready and there are rest rooms to change in and freshen up in the bar area. I did note that when I checked the London hotes website recently that the price was at 95 pounds, ...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on December 12, 2001

Best Western Burns Hotel Kensington
18-26 Barkston Gardens
London, England SW5 0EN
44-20-73733151

Barkston Gardens Hotel

Hotel | "Barkston Gardens"

Barkston Gardens Hotel Photo, London, England
This hotel is two doors down from the Burns. I saw they had a special of £60 when we stayed at the Burns in October and December 2001. I booked a room for April for £60. The regular rate was £90 to £100. We had a really large room with two beds and a big bathroom. Since the hotel is almost at the corner of Earls Court Road, the street traffic noise is rather loud but livable. The breakfast wasn’t as good as at the Burns. I saw lots and lots of hotels on Barkston Gardens and some of the other side street in the Earls Court area and got cards and brochures from them. I plan to check them out next time I visit London. I would probably stay here again if they had the special rat...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on December 12, 2001

Barkston Gardens Hotel
34 44 BARKSTON GARDENS
44-207-373-7851

Rushmore Hotel And Apartments

Hotel | "Rushmore Hotel"

Rushmore Hotel And Apartments Photo, London, England
This hotel has great location. The Earls Court tube stop is just a 2-minute walk, and there are lots of stores, pubs, and restaurants nearby.

The room was rather small and we had some rowdy Germans that liked to party next door to us, and the breakfast was just coffee, juice, and some toast, but the rate was £65.00, so I would still stay here again because the location is good and I don't stay somewhere just because the breakfast is good or bad. There were two good coffee shops in the area we went to, and had some nice scones and coffee. Besides the Germans in the next room, the street is quiet. Click here to view their website.

Rushmore Hotel And Apartments
11 TREBOVIR ROAD
44-1713703839

Oxford Hotel

Hotel

Oxford Hotel Photo, London, England
This hotel was listed in the June or July 2002 issue of Frommer's Budget magazine. See the hotel www.the-oxford-hotel.co/website for the most current rates. We paid £65.00 for two people.

The Oxford Hotel is located right next to the tube, and you can hear the train and the train announcements. So, if you are looking for a hotel close to tube--this is it. The staff couldn't have been nicer and the room was nice. We had a continental breakfast and in-room coffee and tea. I am not sure I would stay here again due to the noise. There are three or four hotels on the other side of Pennywern, so I think I would check those out, as they wouldn't be as close to the tube.

Oxford Hotel
24 Pennywern Road
020 7370 1161

Merlyn Court Hotel Photo, London, England
www.merlyncourthotel.com I have stayed at five or six different hotels and B&Bs in this area, but I like this one the best. They have 18 rooms, some with private facilities and some that share the toilet and showers. Due to the exchange rate, we opted for shared facilities. The room was £55, and there were two twin beds, a dresser, an armoire, and a sink, with the toilets and shower down the hall. We had the facilities to ourselves, and the room we shared with was a single. Both times, we requested room 17 on the 4th floor. We also saw room 8 on 2nd level, and that was a bigger room, but we figured that, being higher-up, we would have facilities to ourselves, and it would be quieter. We were...Read More

Merlyn Court Hotel
2 Barkston Gardens
+44 (020) 7370 1640

Hereford Arms

Hereford Arms Photo, London, England
The dark panelled walls and dark pillars and the yellow tinted windows make this pub very inviting and homey. The staff is very friendly. We stopped in on the last Sunday in November after church for a pint and they were all putting up the Christmas decorations and having discussions as where to put what, it was amusing. The best thing is the non-smoking dining section. In the warmer weather they have a number of picnic tables outside. The food is normal pub food. Jacket potatos (baked potatos stuffed with different things such as ham/cheese or tuna etc.) One night for dinner we had chicken curry with rice and veggie pasta with 2 beers it was 20.00 Pounds. Ru...Read More

Hereford Arms
127 Gloucester Road
London, England SW7 4TE
+44 20 7370 4988

Drayton Arms

This is a Victorian type decor. The interior has art nouveau lanterns, and a wonderful mahogany bar.
There has been a pub here since 1847.
The service is friendly and prompt and the place isnt that smoky.
The menu is typical pub food, but they have the best minestrone soup.
Beers in tap include Guinness, Caffreys, Bass and Grolsch.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 28, 2001

Drayton Arms
153 Old Brompton Road
373 0385

Westminster Arms Pub Photo, London, England
There are not all that many good pubs in the Westminster area, but this is a good one. It''s right around the corner from the new Queen Elizabeth Conference Centre and 1/2 block from Westminster Abbey.

The bar is crowded for most of the day, and looks a lot like it did when it was built back in 1913. There is a restaurant upstairs and a wine bar downstairs. I have had lunch two times here, and both times had the Ploughman''s Lunch. Beers include Stella, Young''s, and Westminster Bitter.

Nearest tubes are St. James and Westminster.

Westminster Arms Pub
9 Storeys Gate
London, England SW1P 3AT
(020) 7222 8520

Lamb and Flag

Restaurant | "The Lamb and Flag"

This is one of my favorite pubs in London, and since its near Covent Garden I often stop here for a pint.

The location is kind of hard to find up an alley between Garrick and Floral St.
It used to be very smoky but since London has gone non-smoking it much enjoyable. In the nicer weather everyone drinks outside but that is where the smokers are.

This is easily the oldest pub in Covent Garden.

They have a very good Ploughmans lunch here.
Beers are Guinness, Beamish, 1664 and Fosters to name a few.

Lamb and Flag
33 Rose Street
London, England WC2E 9EB

Stanhope Arms

This used to be one of my favorites in the South Kensington area but now I like the Hereford.
This is a small and smoky pub.
The food is good though. They have chicken curry dishes and jacket potatos and burgers. The problem is that it is very smoky.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on March 28, 2001

Stanhope Arms
97 Gloucester Road
London, England SW7 4SS
+44 20 7373 4192

Westminster Arms Pub Photo, London, England
This is one of our favorite pubs in London. It is around the corner from Houses of Parliament and Big Ben. In the nicer weather they have 4-5 tables outside and this is a great spot for just watching people. The food is also very good pub food--they have the best Ploughman's lunch I have found at a pub in London. Ploughman's lunch is: French bread with cheese and a salad.

Westminster Arms Pub
9 Storeys Gate
London, England SW1P 3AT
(020) 7222 8520

Belgo Centraal

Restaurant | "Belgo"

Belgo Centraal Photo, London, England
This is a Belgian restaurant about three blocks from Covent Garden. It looks like an old warehouse that has been converted, and the style is very modern. The food was excellent, and with all the Belgian beers, it was hard to decide what to have. They have weekday specials before 6pm, so next time I would try to get there at that time to take advantage of the specials. They have mussels as appetizers, and though we didn’t get any, the couple next to us did, and they looked great. We had salmon and duck, and it was really tasty. The service was rather slow but they were really busy, I would still go back there again, but with the exchange rate as it is now (2005) I would try to go early to take adv...Read More

Belgo Centraal
50 Earlham Street
London, England WC2H 9LJ
+44 20 7813 2233

Borough Market

Borough Market Photo, London, England
We stumbled upon this market by accident and we were pleasantly surprised. This is basically a small wholesale fruit and vegetable market spread out in an L shape underneath the railway tracks. We were there on a Saturday morning and there was a lot of action going on.

Borough Market
West of Borough High Street
London, England SE1

Covent Garden Photo, London, England
Covent Garden is more of a tourist market than some of the others. There are shops inside. Some are places that sell soaps "LUSH" one of my favorites and "The Body Shop". There are a lot of stalls selling purses, jewelry, sweaters and little souvenirs. Also some restaurants and kiosks that sell coffee and pastries. This is the best place for street entertainers. There is also a great Doc Marten shoe store here, but no bargains (see review on Camden Locks). Also a nice Fossil Watch store, but prices same as in U.S. I came on a Sunday in November and that place was packed with people doing their Christmas Shopping. We go to London every Thanksgiving and do most of our shopping for th...Read More

London, England WC2
+44 20 7836 9136

Leadenhall Market

Leadenhall Market Photo, London, England
This isn''t much but the building is really special and that is why we came here. There are a few shops selling fish and poultry but not much going on. We were coming to see the Monument (down the street). This is a column designed by Christopher Wren to commemorate the Great Fire in London in 1666. It is 205 feet high.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on March 29, 2001

Leadenhall Market
Whittington Avenue
London, England EC3V

Brick Lane Market

Brick Lane Market Photo, London, England
This popular East End Market is at its best around the edges, in the little shops and even on some of the side streets. There are lots of stalls just set up in the middle selling food like cookies, crackers candy and the like. There was even a guy selling small appliances off the back of his van. We presume at the prices he was hawking that the merchandise "FELL OFF A TRUCK"???? Brick Lane itself is full of shops selling sports goods, gloves, shoes, socks and jeans, but look for the wonderful range of spice shops and curry restaurants in this very active center of London's Bangladesh community. We had lunch at a very good Bangladesh restaurant. Note this is open only...Read More

Brick Lane Market
Brick Lane
London, England E1

Camden Markets

Attraction | "Camden Locks"

Camden Markets Photo, London, England
This is probably one of my favorite markets. Last November on a Saturday, the tube leaving was closed and they were sending people four blocks down the street to the other one because of the volume of people coming to the market the tube station couldn''t handle it. Since opening in 1974 this market has grown. Handmade items, new and secondhand merchandise, jeans, books and records are the bulk of the goods that draw the young crowds here especially on the weekends. There are also street performers and hawkers here. Watch your pockets and handbags though. Also there is a great Doc Marten shoe store in the middle and a number of the stalls have them for very good prices, ...Read More

Camden Markets
Camden High Street
Camden, London, England NW1

Courtauld Institute Of Art Gallery

Attraction | "Courtauld Institute Galleries"

Courtauld Institute Of Art Gallery Photo, London, England
London's most spectacular small collection of paintings.
The Institute was established by Samuel Courtauld in 1931, based on his collection of Impressionist and post-Impressionist collection and have been added to since.
The early galleries include Brueghel, Bottecelli and Rubens. The Impressionists remain the chief attraction.
Monday between 10AM-2PM the museum is free so save the 4.00 Pounds and visit. We did the entire museum in less than 2 hours.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 6, 2001

Courtauld Institute Of Art Gallery
Somerset House
London, England WC2R 0RN
+ 44 20 7848 2777

Horse Guards Parade

Attraction | "Horse Guards"

Horse Guards Parade Photo, London, England
This was once Henry VIII's tournament ground.
The changing of the guard takes place every day here.
The buildings completed in 1755, were designed by William Kent.
We thought it was interesting just to see the horses and I think the kids really like this.

Horse Guards Parade
Whitehall
London, England SW1

Portobello Road Market

Attraction | "Portobello Rd Market"

Portobello Road Market Photo, London, England
Portobello Market is really like 3 or 4 markets in one.

The Notting Hill end has over 2000 stalls alone, selling all kinds of things from jewelry, old medals, records, new and vintage clothing.

Farther down the hill after the antique shops you will come to the fruit and vegetable markets and there are a number of bakeries that will make your mouth water.

Beyond that comes the cheap clothes, bric-a-brac and tacky jewelry.

There are a few places to eat here but not that many. We usually get a cup of coffee and scone while walking around.

This is a good market for looking but I like Camden Locks and Covent Garden if I am spending money.

Portobello Road Market
Portobello Road
London, England W11

The Monument to Great Fire of London

Attraction | ""The Monument""

The Monument to Great Fire of London Photo, London, England
We always wondered what the MONUMENT was when we used this tube stop, so we decided to investigate.

It turns out to have an interesting and sad story behind it.

The Monument was built between 1671 and 1677 to commemorate the Great Fire of London. The fire lasted 3 days in 1666. You can climb to the top for good views of the city.
I did the climb and its 311 steps up. They are a spiral staircase and very narrow. The view is worth it.

The Monument to Great Fire of London
Monument Street and Fish Street Hill
London, England EC3R 8AH

Banqueting House

Banqueting House Photo, London, England
This was an interesting place to visit and not a lot of tourists hear about it.

The building has a great architectural style. Completed in 1622 it was the sold survivor of the fire that destroyed Whitehall Palace in 1698.

The Ceiling has paintings by Rubens, a complex series of paintings that were commisioned by Charles I in 1630.
He was executed on a scaffold outside Banqueting Hall in 1649. Charles II celebrated his restoration to the throne 20 years later.

The building is occasionally used for official functions.

Banqueting House
Whitehall Road

Greenwich Market

Greenwich Market Photo, London, England
This isn't the best market in London but still is worth the trip. Now there are 3 ways to get to Greenwich. Docklands light railroad (get from Canary Wharf) 15 minutes from there. Regular train, or in season take a boat. I have another more detailed journal on Greenwich.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on December 12, 2001

Greenwich Market
Greenwich High Road
Greenwich, London
020 7237 2001

Geffrye Museum

Geffrye Museum Photo, London, England
The Geffrye is the only museum in the United Kingdom to show a specialist collection of English furniture and decorative arts in a chronological series of period rooms. The rooms reflect the changing social habits and values which have influenced the style of interiors over the past 400 years. The visitor is able to walk through time, from the 17th century with oak furniture and panelling, past the refined splendour of the Georgian period and the high style of the Victorians, to 20th century modernity, seen in a 1930's flat, a mid century room in 'contemporary' style plus a late 20th century living space in a converted warehouse. The Geffrye Almshouses were built in 1715 by the Worshipful Company of I...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 18, 2002

Geffrye Museum
Kingsland Road
London, England E2 8EA
+44 20 7739 9893

Abbey Road Studios

Abbey Road Studios Photo, London, England
Just take tube to St.John's Woods Station its about a 3 block walk from there. There is a nice little gift shop at the tub station also. You can see the famous street where the Beetle' took the picture for the album cover. You can't tour the studios but we went in December 2001 and since it was about 10days after George Harrison died there was quite a lot of memorabilia left there and we took a lot of pictures.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 18, 2002

Abbey Road Studios
3 Abbey Road
London, England NW8 9AY
020 7266 7000

Half Price Ticket Booth Photo, London, England
I love going to plays in London. Before you go get on one of the theater websites like theatermonkey.com or the official London theater website and make a list of seven or eight plays that you want to see. Go to the half price booth. Don't be fooled by the windows that claim they are half price.

See the picture - that is the official half price booth, the others aren't really half price. I know because I have checked them out.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 15, 2003

Half Price Ticket Booth
Leiscester Square

Petticoat Lane Market

Attraction | "Petticoat Lane"

Petticoat Lane Market Photo, London, England
Take the tube to either Liverpool, Aldgate, or Aldgate East. There are signs, so it's easy to find. This is a Sunday-only market, open from 9am-2pm.

The leather coats here are amazing--I didn't buy one because I didn't have room in my bag, but I am definitly going to get one next time. They had lots of kids' toys and adult clothing like sweatpants and sweatshirts, plus lots of nice London souvenir T-shirts and socks.

This market is definitley worth the trip, and it's close to Spitalfields Market and Brick Lane, so make Sunday your big market day.

Petticoat Lane Market
Middlesex Street and surrounding streets
London, England E1

HMS Belfast

HMS Belfast Photo, London, England
The closest tube stop is either London Bridge or Tower Hill. The cost to get in is £5.80, and there are special discounts for seniors and kids.

HMS Belfast is a cruiser. It was launched in 1938 and served throughout WWII. This is a most interesting tour, and would be great for kids. They have lots of lifelike dummies in all the different cabins protraying life as it would have been when the ship was in working order. I liked seeing the kitchen, the dentist, and the sailors just sitting around playing cards. I would leave at least two hours for this tour. They have a snack bar and also a gift shop. Click here to view their website.

HMS Belfast
Morgan's Lane
London, England SE1 2JH
+44 20 7940 6300

London Transport Museum Photo, London, England
This museum was so much more interesting than I thought it would be. We were here for about two hours. Seeing the old buses and train cars was really great. They had lots of old ticket machines and even posters and some uniforms. This museum is well worth a visit and they have a nice gift shop as well. Since you are already at Covent Garden, there are also a lot of places to eat there. Click here to check out their website.

London Transport Museum
39 Wellington Street
London, England WC2E 7BB
+44 (207) 565 7299

Lower Marsh Market

Lower Marsh Market Photo, London, England
We found this market by accident--we were going to the Imperial War Museum and the Lambeth station was closed. We got off at Waterloo instead, and, after a bit of walking, found this street market. They have booths set up in the street and also shops along the sidewalks--this was a real find. My husband got some nice Doc Marten's. They had a lot of kids' toys and some food. They also had cosmetics and lots of things like socks, underwear, and sunglasses. The prices were very reasonable. Check out their website here.

Lower Marsh Market
Lower Marsh
London, England SE1

Roman Road

Attraction | "Roman Road Market"

Roman Road Photo, London, England
The Roman Road market is open Tues, Thurs and Sat. Print the map from the website. We had to ask directions. When coming out of tube station, take a left and then a right on the first street and walk about 15 minutes.

This is a local market with very good prices. I got some sweatpants for £3.00 and they had lots of clothing for very good prices. I didn't like this market as much as Covent Garden or Camden Locks, but it was worth the trip.

Roman Road
Roman Road From St. Stephen's Road To Parnell Road
London, England E3 5LU

Old Spitalfields Market

Attraction | "Spitalfields Market"

Old Spitalfields Market Photo, London, England
A nice market, best on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. They have a small food court. Lots of novelty items, like the head massager. Lots and lots of produce and some exotic produce.

The trading units within the Market Hall have all the modern facilities that today’s trade requires which include cold storage rooms, ripening rooms and racking for palletised produce. New Spitalfields Market has the highest number of wholesale traders of any horticultural market in the United Kingdom and the continual specialisation by wholesalers in exotic fruit and vegetables provides the greatest choice of these products of any market in Europe.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 12, 2002

Old Spitalfields Market
105a Commercial St., Shoreditch
020 7247 8556

Wembley Arena

Attraction | "Wembley Stadium"

Wembley Arena Photo, London, England
Great Sunday-only market with about 500 vendors. I was looking for a UK currency hair dryer to bring with me, since some hotels don’t have them. I got one for £6.99, and they also had socks at excellent prices. Lots of utensils, work gloves, and things like that. They have a number of food places and lots of picnic tables to sit at and eat. It opens at 9am, and you have to get there early, because it was getting very crowded by about 1pm. Hours are Sundays from 9am-3pm. Take the tube to Wembley Park Station, Jubilee, or Metropolitan line. The day we went, the station was closed, but things were well-marked, and they had buses from Baker Street.

Wembley Arena
Elvin House
London, England HA9 0DW
+44 870 060 0870

Leather Lane

Leather Lane Photo, London, England
This is a fairly small market. Open weekdays from 10:30am to 2:30pm. I got a nice pair of slipper clogs for £3, and then the usual: socks, nice reading glasses, nice winter scarfs, some flowers, veggies, and a fresh juice at the juice bar. There were some coffee shops and bakeries around for a snack.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 27, 2004