California Journals

5th Wedding Anniversary in CA

A July 2006 trip to California by ChrisfromMiami

Hotel Del Sol Photo, San Francisco, California More Photos
Quote: Our trip to San Francisco, Napa/Sonoma, Yosemite and Monterey.

5th Wedding Anniversary in CA

Foggy Cliff Photo, San Francisco, California
This was our 5th wedding anniversary trip. We had 10 days to hit what we considered to be the high points of the San Francisco area knowing that we can always go back to the best spots. We decided on a day for wine country, three for San Francisco, a day and a half for Yosemite, and the remainder of our trip in the Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur area.The trip was a whirlwind, needless to say, but we set our priorities well and saw what we really wanted to see. Wine country was gorgeous! We cannot wait to go back. We also really loved the Monterey/Carmel area. I didn't realize that San Francisco is the third top tourist destination in the US right under Disneyland and Disney World. I ...Read More
Hotel Del Sol Photo, San Francisco, California
Very quaint little motel...This remodeled 50's motor lodge was bright, airy and cheerful. The location was excellent and was a reasonable cab ride to all the city's hot spots. Unlike most places in the city, parking here is free and abundant if you do happen to have a rental car. The room was a bit on the small side and the shower could have used a renovation, but overall this place was a steal. The service was EXCELLENT!

Hotel Del Sol
3100 Webster Street
San Francisco, California 94123

Big Creek Inn

Hotel

Big Creek Inn Photo,
I searched the 'net for a nice B&B close to the entrance of Yosemite and I found Big Creek which is two miles from the south entrance of the Park. The website does not do the Inn justice. I just figured I was getting a nice clean place to sleep, but in actuality, no detail was overlooked. The Mariposa room was $195/night. It was a very large room with a king size bed, a fireplace, large bathroom with garden tub, two balconies (one screened) with a view of the creek and a meadow and a large walk-in closet. The Inn's common areas included a computer nook with couch and a place to iron as well as a social area that included games, videos to take back to your room and unlimited snacks (trail...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 3, 2006

Big Creek Inn
1221 Highway 41
Fish Camp, California 93623

Hyatt Regency Monterey

Hotel | "Hyatt Regency Monterrey"

I booked this Hyatt because the website gave the impression that the motel had been renovated, but I think only the common areas had been renovated. Not only was the room in dire need of an update, but there was no air conditioning and we had to sleep with the screen door open and the fan on full blast every night. Little did we know, but the Red Bull Grand Prix was going on in Monterrey while we were there so trying to sleep with the door open made for a noisy night.I will say the motel was very well located. We could get to fisherman's wharf, cannery row and the aquarium in minutes. Regardless of the wonderful location, I am afraid I cannot recommend this location until they undergo th...Read More

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on August 3, 2006

Hyatt Regency Monterey
1 Old Golf Course Rd.
Monterey, California 93940

Sheraton Gateway San Francisco Airport Hotel

Hotel | "Sheraton Gateway Hotel"

We wanted to be close by the airport our last night so the early morning trip to the airport would be easier. I got this room for $83 on Hotwire.com. I requested a lower floor room because dh won't take elevators, but when we arrived we were booked on the 12th floor. Dh finally got a handicap accessible room on the 6th floor. The room was fine. All we needed to do was sleep there and for $83 it was a steal!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 3, 2006

Sheraton Gateway San Francisco Airport Hotel
600 AIRPORT BLVD
Burlingame, California 94010

Scoma's Restaurant

Restaurant | "Scoma's"

Scoma's is on Fisherman's wharf. The menu was extensive and the food was fresh. The decor could use a serious update as it is still trapped in 1962, but the service was very good. I had the lobster newburg. It was good, but not the super fresh, pulled right from the water after you order quality I am used to at home in FL. The sauce was the overwhelming flavor, not the lobster. I thought the restaurant was a good value, but I would choose to try another San Fran spot before I would go here again.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 2, 2006

Scoma's Restaurant
Pier 47 on Al Scoma Way
San Francisco, California 94133

Cole's Chop House

I found Cole's through the Zagat website. It was rated one of the top 5 steakhouses in the San Francisco Area. The location was "downtown" Napa. It was a lovely park/shopping district. The restaurant was bright and airy (a bit on the noisy side once it got crowded). The manager came by instantly after we were seated and continued to check in several times during our meal. I had the surf and turf which was a large lobster tail and a filet for $63. It was very, very good, but not the best I've ever had. The creamed spinach and hashbrowns with onions were also tasty (the hashbrowns were excellent). Dh and I frequently try the steakhouses where ever we are and although this one was very good, it ...Read More

Cole's Chop House
1122 Main St
Napa Valley, California 94559

This show came highly recommended by a number of my online buddies and my brother and sister-in-law. The show is very colorful and funny. You could tell some of the show is standard, but some is based on current events. The hats and "hair pieces" were outrageous! We booked by phone, had excellent seats and paid $55/person. I would recommend the activity (to adults and maybe older teenagers) my only gripe was having to wait in the freezing cold for 45 minutes before they opened the doors.

Beach Blanket Babylon
678 Beach Blanket Babylon Boulevard
San Francisco, California
415-421-4222

Ravenswood Winery

Ravenswood Winery Photo, Sonoma, Sonoma County
We searched out this winery because this is our favorite bargain zinfindel. The tasting room and shop were situated on a lovely hill but would have been impossible to find without our navigation system. The tasting was $5 for 5 wines. Bargain, I think! The wine was wonderful, we gathered some souviners and we were on our way.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 2, 2006

Ravenswood Winery
18701 Gehricke Road
Sonoma, California 95476

Robert Mondavi Winery Photo, Oakville, California
We took the 75-minute vineyard tour and tasting which was $25/person. The tour was wonderful and very informative. It consisted of detailed descriptions about grapes, the vineyard and winemaking in addition to tours of the fermentation area and red and white aging rooms. The tasting followed the tour. Six wines were sampled.

Robert Mondavi Winery