Kinder Journals

Gambler's Oasis

A December 2000 trip to Kinder by Julie Hood

Quote: Kinder is home to Grand Casino Coushatta, an outstanding gambling resort.

Gambler's Oasis

The vast casino floor filled with everything from slots to blackjack tables enables everyone to try their luck. The enormity of this place is amazing.

Take some good walking shoes and a fanny-pack. Leave your purse in a secured place.

Since this is a resort, walking is a good way to get around. If you choose to stay in one of the surrounding hotels, there are regular shuttles to and from the resort which eliminates parking problems.

Comfort Inn Kinder

Hotel | "Comfort Inn"

Since there were five of us, we opted to share a room. There were two large double, very comfortable beds and a single pull-out. A small bathroom but two large sinks accomodated us very nicely. A picture window unfortunately looked over the adjacent highway but the accomodations were very clean and comfortable.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 22, 2001

Comfort Inn Kinder
13894 Highway 165

Grill

Restaurant | "The Grill"

From lobster bisque to burger and fries, this small eaterie has it all at very low prices. We were there on New Year's Eve so it was rather crowded but only a small wait and we were seated. It overlooks the casino floor so you can watch while you eat. Very interesting.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 22, 2001

Grill
Grand Casino Coushatta
Kinder, Louisiana 70648

This casino is vast. I gambled from 1pm to 4am and never got bored. I also never covered the whole casino. There are numerous nickel, quarter and dollar slots which surround the gaming tables. When you claim to collect, the service was always fast. The drinks were free but also a little watery. This casino was clean, the staff were helpful. It being so big, remember to take some good walking shoes. I didn't and boy, did I have blisters the next day. A fanny pack is a good idea also.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 22, 2001

Grand Casino Coushatta
777 Coushatta Drive

For the kids

Story/Tip

I, personally, don't take my daughter when I visit Coushatta but if you choose to, there is a fully supervised nursery for children aged 6 weeks to 12 yrs old. The fee is $4.50 per hour per child.

If your children are aged 12 and up, they have their own personal arcade called the Grande Arcade where they can play games while you gamble.

I don't recommend a stay here on national holidays. It gets very crowded. By midnight on New Year's Eve, there was not a slot machine open to play on. I would, however, recommend it any other day of the year.

I had a special time there and will keep on returning. There is much fun to be had.

About the Writer