London Journals

Lovely London

A June 2006 trip to London by Medora

Road to Buckingham Photo, London, England More Photos
Quote: The first visit to London should be done right. Here's what I did.

Lovely London

Road to Buckingham Photo, London, England
I was excited to see my boyfriend, and not necessarily London, before I went to visit a couple weeks ago. When I came back though, I missed both dearly. People keep reacting with surprise after I tell them how much I loved London. "Why? Oh god, but London is so expensive!" (As if they weren't paying in New York for a bland beer and then handing over to a taxi driver to get them home to their 300-square-foot, ,200-a-month studio apartment.) New York is very expensive; London is very, very expensive. I never said I liked going broke in London; I simply said I loved London. But come to think of it, I would pay the unjust prices in London over the just-plain-high prices in New York if I could ...Read More

Windsor Castle Pub

Attraction | "Windsor Castle"

Windsor Castle Pub Photo, Windsor, England
The oldest and largest occupied castle in the world. I was smitten with this place: from the Waterloo dining room to the garden growing in the moat, I was in awe of real royalty. It just doesn't exist like this in the USA. St. George's chapel was also spectacular. Don't skip it.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on July 30, 2006

Windsor Castle Pub
114 Campden Hill Road
London, England W8 7AR
+44 20 7243 9551

Tower of London

View from the Tower of London Photo, London, England
Get there on a weekday before it opens to avoid long lines. Have a cup of coffee and enjoy the view of the Thames. Be sure to explore each tower, since the Tower of London is actually made up of several towers built over hundreds of years. There is a guided tour by a charming man in traditional garb, but only go if you are patient and don't have children. He talks a lot and thinks he's really funny. The audio tour is pretty good and lets you go at your own pace without a huge group following the same route. Be sure to see Sir Walter Raleigh's chambers too.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 30, 2006

Tower of London
Tower Hill
London, England EC3N 4AB
+44 (207) 709 0765

Sea Life London Aquarium

Attraction | "London Aquarium"

Sea Life London Aquarium Photo, London, England
It doesn't seem like it makes sense to go to a European city and then hang out in an aquarium, but with the Eye of London, the Tate Modern, and the Thames surrounding it, you'll at least see the outside of the aquarium. I went in and loved it. They divide the aquatic life into regions of the world and water systems. There's a touching pool, three floors of tranquil colors, and every imaginable sea creature. It's wonderful.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 30, 2006