Montreal Journals

Long Weekend in Montreal

A March 2001 trip to Montreal by Binky

Studio B&B Photo, Montreal, Quebec More Photos
Quote: My wife and I spent a 3-day weekend in Montreal. We saw the sites, ate the food, and tried to experience as much as we could in a short time.

Long Weekend in Montreal

The Notre Dame Cathedral was absolutely beautiful. I also enjoyed walking through Mont Royal Park, even though it was tiring on my legs!

The currency exchange at the airport did NOT have a good rate (even though I read somwhere that it did). Make reservations for your dinner plans, even if your travel books don't say they're necessary.

The public transit was pretty easy to use once you started to figure out the locations. We took taxis, the bus, as well as the metro (subway). Oh, and a lot of walking as well. I heard a car is a hassle downtown, so I didn't bother getting one, but I might if I go back.

Studio B&B￿

Hotel | "Studio B&B"

Studio B&B Photo, Montreal, Quebec
Very nice apartment-like accomodations. The B&B is essentially the ground floor of a building in Westmount, a fairly well-off enclave just W of downtown Montreal. The apartment had a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen area, and living room, much more than you''d get at a hotel. Breakfast was yogurt, fruit, and bagels left in the fridge. They had a TV with a digital satellite hookup which was nice. More details can be found on this website: http://www.bbcanada.com/2778.html or email at rooms@aei.ca

Studio B&B￿
483 Victoria
Montreal, Quebec

La Transition

Excellent food. This restaurant specializes in Mediterranean fusion cuisine. My wife had veal with artichokes and lemon. I had a daily special: lamb with spinich and feta. Great service, friendly staff. Plus it was 2 blocks away from our B&B!

La Transition
4785 Sherbrooke West
Montreal, Quebec

Le Paris

This place was listed with a star in Fodor's Canada 2001 so we gave it a try. We should have made reservations because we got stuck right in front of the door at 7pm on a Saturday night. The onion soup was excellent. The staff was friendly and attentive. However, our main dishes didn't seem like anything too special (veal for the wife, sausage, duck, and some-other-meat platter for me). Maybe we ordered the wrong things!

Le Paris
1812, rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest
Montreal, Quebec H3H 1M1
+1 514 937 4898

Mount Royal and Mount Royal Park

Attraction | "Chalet du Mont-Royal"

Mount Royal and Mount Royal Park Photo, Montreal, Quebec
All the guidebooks say the first thing you should do when you get to Montreal is hike up the mountain to the Chalet. So we did. Along the snowy, icy paths. With the wrong shoes on. It was a beautiful walk through the park however, with a nice view of the city from the Chalet. However, take a cab or the bus as much as you can, cause you're in for a 6km walk (3km x 2) or a lot of steps after that.

Mount Royal and Mount Royal Park
West of Downtown
Montreal, Quebec H3H 1A2
514 843 8240

Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal

Attraction | "Basilica of Notre Dame"

Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal Photo, Montreal, Quebec
This is an absolutely beautiful church, riviling many I saw in Europe. Well worth the CAN$2 admission fee. Try to get on a free tour so you can spend less time reading the brochure and more time looking around. Don't forget to go to the back of the church to see the smaller, but also exquisite chapel.

Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal
110 Notre-dame Street West
Montreal, Quebec H2Y 1T1

Montreal Biodome

Attraction | "The Montreal Biodome"

It's OK. It is a little botanical garden/mini-zoo with four or five seperate ecosystems represented. It used to be the cycling venue for the 1976 Olympics. I thought the CAN$10/person price was a little steep for what you get. The kids there seemed to be enjoying it. I would rather go to a quality zoo anytime though.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on March 19, 2001

Montreal Biodome
4777 Pierre-de-Coubertin Avenue
Montreal H1V 1B3

Casino de Montréal

Attraction | "Casino de Montreal"

It's a pretty nice, but crowded casino. I lost CAN$100 in a hurry playing $10/hand blackjack. The dealer just couldn't bust! Anyway, it's a really beautiful building, and easy to get to with public transit (CAN$2 gets you there: Metro to Ile-Ste-Helene, free transfer to bus). Nonsmoking floors are up top and less crowded. And don't believe the older guidebooks saying you have to dress up. Jeans are FINE.

Casino de Montréal