San Antonio Journals

Riverwalk

A December 2000 trip to San Antonio by lobosolo

The Alamo (Mission San Antonio de Valero) Photo, San Antonio, Texas More Photos
Quote: We all were in an awkward position and did not want to be with either of the parents families. However, we did enjoy the trip ourselves a lot... specially the kids.

Riverwalk

We had never travelled with kids to San Antonio on leisure, so we did not know much to do in the winter time. We only had reservations on Christmas Eve at a Restaurant and we knew that kids would not be thrilled to be on a shopping spree. We only knew that in a new van we could enjoy the most while in the vehicle.. and we did. The weather was not what you would call perfect, but being together as a close family certainly made it warmer.Quick Tips: Even if the weather is chilly, the Riverwalk always offers nice trips, even if you dont walk on the banks. Restaurants and nightclubs fill the banks of this river that is tourism oriented on the downtown area. Later on New Years, lights and firewor...Read More

Dick's Last Resort

Loud life music along with your heavily prepared cocktails and drinks and some food of regular rating. I personally enjoy the music a lot, and seldom eat more than some appetizers. Only once did I eat something more than appetizers and did like it. However, if I want to have some food this is not the place where I like to eat. Music and drinks are good if you are not afraid to yell all night. One drink I do really enjoy is a Myer's Rum and orange juice or a Bacardi 151 with orange juice or coke, beware, this might be too much alcohol if you plan to drive later!

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on April 23, 2001

Dick's Last Resort
406 Navarro
+1 210 224 0026

The Tower Restaurant

Restaurant | "Tower of the Americas Restaurant"

The Tower Restaurant Photo, San Antonio, Texas
We were celebrating my wife's birthday and everybody seemed fine. I had asked for flower delivery earlier, but it happened to be the only one in the whole restaurant, so everybody noticed them, complimented or talked about them. Some people even said jokes about taking them home and the like. I did pick the time so roughly we would be in the circling of the tower at sundown. I just could not have reserved it at a better time and we had the best of daylight and the best of nighttime. The food is very good and the prices seem very fair for what you get. It certainly is a good finish to your day at Riverwalk. The shrimp she had was terrific and the wine was superior (or so it tasted). The fee for the el...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 17, 2004

The Tower Restaurant
600 HemisFair Park
San Antonio, Texas 78201
210-223-3101

The Alamo (Mission San Antonio de Valero)

Attraction | "Reenactment of the Alamo seize"

The Alamo (Mission San Antonio de Valero) Photo, San Antonio, Texas
It is a theatrical reenactment for the Alamo (remember the Alamo?) when taken by the Mexican Army. The performers claim that have the facts of the historical deeds, but Discovery Channel says they are not as accurate as claimed.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 14, 2004

The Alamo (Mission San Antonio de Valero)
300 Alamo Plaza

La Villita

Attraction | "Open-air theater"

La Villita Photo, San Antonio, Texas
It is a very interesting thing to be on one side of the San Antonio Riverwalk as a spectator with the performers on the other side of it. When the acts or performances are going you cannot stop the barges with tourists coming across, but no harm done, they like it, too, and the view is never blocked by them. Long ago I was in a music event here and I still feel the echo coming from the hotel nearby and remember (when not vibrate) with the pieces I heard then. As a matter of fact, I still think of this stage when I hear the track in my car or at home. I am positive you’ll enjoy it a lot, maybe I will be lucky and I perform for you. (Look for Mexican theater).

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 14, 2004