New York Journals

Living Cheaply in New York City

A travel journal to New York by hcheng

Rock Center Cafe Photo, New York, New York More Photos
Quote: Some people call me cheap, but others call me resourceful. I'm constantly on the lookout for cheap or discounted activities. Here are some of my suggestions for fun in NYC.

Living Cheaply in New York City

I love to eat, and there are so many damn restaurants in New York, it's great. Read the rest of my guide for cheap eats.

On the more expensive side, I really enjoy going to Broadway plays and musicals.

DO NOT RENT A CAR IN NEW YORK CITY. You do not want to fight traffic and look for parking spots. Please, just take the public transportation, which is great. Subways and buses are the cheapest (as opposed to walking), and taxis can get you there if you're really in a rush.

A token for the subway or a bus ride costs you .50. However, you can get an unlimited day pass for , which makes sense if you're going to make 3 or more trips.

Blondies

Blondies is the best sports bar I've been to in New York. There's great service and good food. Granted, it's not gourmet food, but they have great burgers. There are plenty of TVs, and on a weeknight, if you want to catch an out of town game, it's a great place to go. As expected, it's bustling during big events like Monday Night Football, but no matter what, I've always had great service.

Don't miss the burgers and great waffle fries. To top it all off, get a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 9, 2001

Blondies
212 West 79th Street
New York, New York 10024

Zucchero e Pomodori

It seems like there's 10 Italian restaurants per block in New York City, and it's so hard to distinguish what's good. Well, Zucchero is fantastic. The entrees are only around $10, and the free focaccia in the bread basket is magnificent. Try not to fill up on the bread. (Although, I always do...)

I suggest getting the Rigatoni Pollo Pazzo (Chicken and sun dried tomatoes in a vodka sauce) with pappardelle substituted for the Rigatoni. Delicious!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 9, 2001

Zucchero e Pomodori
1431 2nd Avenue
New York, New York 10021

Spice

It seems that the Upper East Side is dominated by row after row of indistinguishable Italian, Japanese, and take-out Chinese restaurants. It's a bit hard to find unique, quality food at reasonable prices. However, Spice fits the bill. Located at 2nd Avenue between 73 and 74th, Spice provides fantastic food at great prices. Most entrees are only $10 and only go up to about $15. I've eaten there many times and have always had great meals. As far as lunch, Spice provides a prix fixed menu for about $10. The food is great, but I think the amount of food you get is a bit much for lunch. However, it's perfect if you're looking for a bigger lunch. The real value, however, comes at dinner tim...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 6, 2002

Spice
1411 Second Ave. (between 73rd and 74th streets)
New York, New York 10021

Rock Center Cafe

Rock Center Cafe Photo, New York, New York
The Rock Center Cafe should be judged on two totally separate things: location and food. The location of the restaurant is amazing. It is right next to the Rockefeller Plaza skating rink, and if you're lucky enough (as I was), you can sit at a table next to a huge panoramic window that is literally feet away from the rink. The restaurant offers great views of both Rockefeller Center and of skaters. As a matter of fact, it seems that half the fun of eating at the Rock Center Cafe is seeing which skaters fall the most! Because of the location, this would be a great place for tourists or a romantic night out. The food, on the other hand, did not live up to the views. I starte...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on March 21, 2002

Rock Center Cafe
20 West 50th St
New York, New York 10020

Bolo

I had been to Mesa Grill (Bobby Flay's other restaurant), and I thought it was fantastic. So, I was very excited to experience Bobby Flay's take on Spanish cuisine, but I was left thinking: "Wow, that wasn't special at all." Can you say overrated?

I started with the chopped salad, which was good but not great. The entree, an almond crusted chicken breast with Tamarind glaze, was very ordinary. The best part of the entire meal was the dessert: an excellent coffee flavored flan.

I went during restaurant week and the menu was prix fixed, so maybe these weren't their best offerings. But, overall, very disappointing. If you're dying to try Bobby Flay, go to Mesa Grill.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on October 28, 2001