Bristol Journals

A Week in Connecticut

A June 2006 trip to Bristol by MsBHavin

Quote: A week-long business trip with LOTS of dining out.

A Week in Connecticut

We were in the Bristol/Southington/Plainville/Farmington area for a couple of weeks on business. I didn't get to do much exploring—although I really wanted to. There are some truly beautiful areas, some with historical significance and homes and buildings dating from George Washington's time. (Including one wonderful restaurant that has been around since George was president!) If you have the time, this is a great area to visit. Quick Tips: Keep a camera handy. There are so many beautiful scenic shots that pop up—sometimes when you least expect them. Summertime is the best time to go, as I can only imagine the nightmare snow and ice would cause on the hilly highways and roads in this area. I'...Read More

Residence Inn Southington

Hotel | "Residence Inn by Marriott"

I can't say enough good things about Residence Inn in Southington. Everyone I came into contact with...from the front desk to the kitchen to management... everyone was friendly and helpful and smiling. The breakfast was really good. The rooms are fabulous. Get a Jacuzzi room if you can. It's worth it!

Residence Inn Southington
778 West Street

Anthony Jacks

Restaurant | "Anthony Jacks (Wood Fired Grill)"

Anthony Jacks is really, really good! It's a sit-down restaurant, with friendly wait staff, and excellent food. The atmosphere is one where you would feel comfortable with friends, family, or that special someone. It's not brightly lit, but not so dark you can't read the menu. Highly recommended is the garlic crusted tilapia and the blackened swordfish. Yummy!!
Online: www.anthonyjacksrestaurant.com

Anthony Jacks
30 Center St.

Bertucci's

Bertucci's is a great place to go with friends when you are very hungry! You definitely get your money's worth here. And you won't be disappointed. The food is excellent. I recommend the lasagna...

Bertucci's
20 Spring St.

Brannigan's

Brannigan's is famous for ribs. And, although I didn't have them myself... from the comments I got from the friends I was there with, there is a good reason they are famous! They all highly recommend the ribs to anyone. I had the steak, and it was fabulous, too. The atmosphere is warm and welcoming. It's a great place to eat.

Brannigan's
176 Laning St.

Chute Gates

Chute Gates is a very casual sit-down establishment. The decor is "western-cowboy-country" (if you get my drift). The wait staff is very friendly, the food is excellent, and the portions are enormous. Don't order a burger unless you are very hungry!! (They are reallly gooood though!)This is a great place for lunch.

Chute Gates
372 Main St.
Terryville, Connecticut

J. Timothy's Taverne

Restaurant | "J Timothy's Taverne"

J Timothy's used to be called Cole's Tavern. This place has been around since George Washington was president (according to the write-up on the menu). I can see why! The wait staff are very friendly, the decor is warm and attractive, and the food is excellent. A friend I was with said they served the "best pasta" he has had in a "very long time!" The steak I had was very tender, juicy, and delicious, too!

J. Timothy's Taverne
1431 New Britain Ave.
Plainville, Connecticut 06062

Confetti

From the outside, Confetti doesn't look overly impressive. I figured it was going to be a typical meal. Good, but nothing spectacular. Not so. All I can say is...you have to try the sesame crusted ahi tuna. Yum.

Confetti