Hawaii (Big Island) Journals

The Big Island 2006

An April 2006 trip to Hawaii (Big Island) by barbieko

Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa Photo, Hawaii (Big Island), Hawaii More Photos
Quote: This was our first trip the Hawaii. We spent 1 night in the volcano area and the rest of the time on the west side.

The Big Island 2006

We flew into Kona and rented a car. After a good night's sleep, we headed for Volcano. We stopped along the way to see Place of Refuge and the Painted Church. That church was moved overnight out of the path of a volcano eruption, and it is amazing. We arrived in time to do a tour of the volcano and then in the morning went down the Chain of Craters Road. After a wonderful night at the Volcano Rainforest Retreat, we headed to Hilo and up the coast, stopping at most of the waterfalls. We made it back to the Sheraton at about 5pm, which was perfect. We got to do everything we wanted to do except kayak. We had that planned for the last day but unfortunately because of an earthquake, there was a tsunami wa...Read More

Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa

Hotel | "Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa"

Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa Photo, Hawaii (Big Island), Hawaii
The hotel is awesome but the food and drinks are very expensive. I had a regular margarita and with tax it was over $10! I was excited about seeing the manta rays from the hotel lounge but there was a wedding going on in that area and you couldn’t see them. I snorkeled right from the hotel although I doubt that it was okay to do so because of the slippery rocks getting in and out of the water. The pool is great for a family. One part of the pool is a sandy beach, with a lot for the kids to play with.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 6, 2006

Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa
78-128 Ehukai Street
Hawaii, Big Island, Hawaii 96740

Kona Islander Inn Resort

Hotel | "Kona Islander Inn"

Cheap and Convenient. We paid $79 (cheap for Hawaii). We arrived late at the airport and only stayed one night, but the pool and barbecue area was well maintained. The only bad thing was the lack of cleanliness and huge dead roach on the floor. Oh, and there is no ice machine on the property.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on May 6, 2006

Kona Islander Inn Resort
Kona Hawaii
Hawaii, Big Island, Hawaii

Volcano Rainforest Retreat Photo, Hawaii, United States
What a wonderful, tranquil place. We enjoyed the peacefulness and hot tub. The bath robes provided were the BEST. Breakfast was left in the cabin to enjoy whenever. It rained (it is a rainforest after all!) and the sound of the rain on the skylight was soothing.

It is very convenient for exploring the volcano area. Even though there were guests in the two other cottages we never saw or heard them. Each cabin is isolated by plants.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 6, 2006

Volcano Rainforest Retreat

Volcano, Hawaii 96785

Casa Emdeko

Hotel

Casa Emdeko Photo, Hawaii (Big Island), Hawaii
What a great place to stay! Convenient, affordable, clean, quiet, what more could you ask for? If you need pool games or entertainment this is not the place for you. We stayed in unit 306 and the view was awesome. Although this bed is not new as some of the units advertise, we had no complaints. There is a small convenience store across the parking lot and the prices and selection were very good. Two supermarkets close by also. You can walk to a nearby farmers market and get fresh produce. Both the fresh water pool and salt water pools were clean. This is a great place to gather by the ocean and enjoy the sunset. The lanai is a comfortable place to relax anytime. Our flight wasn't until 10pm and it wa...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 9, 2006

Casa Emdeko
75-6082 Alii Drive
Hawaii, Big Island, Hawaii 96740

Jack's Diving Locker

Attraction | "Jack's Dive Locker"

I took my first dive lessons on Hawaii and I couldn't have been happier with Jack's. They are located along Ali'i Drive which is convenient. The initial class was supposed to be an hour and Elaine spent two hours with me. Part was classroom and about an hour in the pool. The next day the shore dive was awesome! Larry was very patient and made sure I understood everything. Boy is there a lot to learn about diving! They were very safety conscious which I appreciated. I would highly recommend Jack's to anyone no matter what their level as they seem to be highly respected on the island. The price for both lessons including equipment was only $80.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 9, 2006