Denver Journals

Rocky Mountain High

A May 2000 trip to Denver by Tombrew

Rocky Mountain Hiking Photo, Denver, Colorado More Photos
Quote: Over Memorial Day weekend of 2000, I headed out to Colorado to do some hiking, and of course, sample the fine Denver beers.

Rocky Mountain High

To me, the best thing to do is to drive up to Rocky Mt. National Park and hike. The scenery is totally awe-inspiring. Walking around downtown Denver at night is also a treat for someone who lives in a city with a scary downtown (Atlanta). There are numerous restaurants, bars, and brewpubs. The drive from the airport is never ending, but once you get downtown, you can walk to many great sites.

Obviously, you need a vehicle to get up to the mountains. I was not impressed by public transportation in town, either.

Marriott Denver City Center

Hotel | "Marriott in downtown"

Well, this was a typical sterile chain hotel, but it was clean, quiet, and nice and was within walking distance of the lively downtown scene. There was a weekend special of $79 per night, but I paid the extra $20 per night to be on the "preferred level." To me, this was worth it. The very nice breakfast was free, as well as afternoon drinks. Plus (although I do like kids) you don''t have a lot of running and screaming kids on this level.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on February 25, 2001

Marriott Denver City Center
1701 California St
Denver, Colorado 80202
303-297-1300

Wynkoop Brewing Company

Restaurant | "Wynkoops Brewpub"

I actually went here because it is (was) reputed to be one of the finest brewpubs in the US. So on Friday night after getting into town, I walked for ten minutes from the Marriott and got to Wynkoops. The place was hopping, and the crowd was fairly young. The menu looked pretty impressive, but I just headed for the bar. I ordered a brew, and it looked wonderful, and I slowly brought it to my lips, and.........UGH! Warm flat beer. OK. I sort of let it sit, and ordered another type of beer. This time, well, YUCK! Warm, flat beer. Talk about a major disappointment.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on February 25, 2001

Wynkoop Brewing Company
1634 18th St
Denver, Colorado 80202

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Restaurant | "Rock Bottom"

I know what you're thinking - Rock Bottom is a brewpub chain. But this was the original one, and was not really chain-like. After a long day of hiking and driving, I wanted some nice cold and tasty on-premesis beer. Now this place had great beer!! So I tried bunches of them. But I was not so numb that I did not notice the food, which was also very tasty and plentiful. All in all, this was a great place to go after a long long day.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on February 25, 2001

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
1001 16th St
Denver, Colorado 80265

Rocky Mountain Hiking

Attraction | "Awesome Rocky Mountain hike"

Rocky Mountain Hiking Photo, Denver, Colorado
On the advice of a Ranger, I drove out of Estes Park down Highway 7 for about 15 miles, until I found the road to a trailhead. First shock (stupid me) was the $10 I paid to get in. But it was worth it. I drove down a dirt road for a couple of miles to the trailhead. There were a lot of cars there, but I guess the people were pretty scattered. The starting elevation was about 9,000 ft. and my goal was to hike 4 miles up to a waterfall at 10,000. What a wonderful hike. Just gorgeous. I don't know what to say here, except that every step of the hike revealed a beautiful view of snow-capped mountains against an azure sky. There was snow up at the waterfall, which was really nice. There were a nu...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 25, 2001