San Francisco Journals

A Month in San Francisco

A March 2006 trip to San Francisco by airin11

Quote: I scored an awesome month-long internship in Oakland, actually, but I spent most of my time in San Fran and the surrounding environs traveling solo.
I signed up to go to a conference in the city, and rather than commuting from Oakland to San Francisco every day, I got a hotel. I booked it about a week before the conference and at the conference rate ($124/night). I'm used to the big chain hotels, so I was hesitant, but it turned out great. If you walk out the front door, you'll walk into the Powell-Hyde Cable Car line. Which leads me to its great location. It was really close to the convention center for me, and the cable car line that takes you down towards Ghiradelli Square and Fisherman's Wharf. And it was steps from the BART station and surrounded by great shopping.I also loved this hotel because you feel like its a posh, l...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 6, 2006

The Powell Hotel
28 CYRIL MAGNIN STREET
San Francisco, California 94102
415-398-3200

Oceanic Society Expeditions

Attraction | "Oceanic Society"

Yesterday, I was super-excited because I booked a whale-watching trip, which leaves from San Francisco, goes out to the Farrallon Islands, gets real close to some whales, then comes back. I picked the Oceanic Society because it had gotten good reviews, left at a reasonable time, and was the cheaper option. So, I get off the BART early Saturday morning, called the place, only to find out they cancelled the trip due to inclement weather. I was so pissed! Not only was I NOT going to see whales, but now I was stranded in SF with the entire day to do stuff. I hadn't planned on so much free time in the city. But, I found things to do. See another entry in this journal.Then on Monday, during busine...Read More

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on April 6, 2006

Oceanic Society Expeditions
At the corner of Buchanan Street and Marina Boulevard
San Francisco, California 94123
+1 415 474 3385

Wax Museum at Fisherman's Wharf

Attraction | "The Wax Museum"

I had lots of free time in San Francisco on a Saturday. I've been to Madame Tussaud's in a couple of places and really liked them. So I thought I'd try it. It was 10am, so not crowded and I wanted to warm up.Let me say: it was the biggest waste of time! Its nothing like Madame Tussaud's; you can't pose with the figures. They have them all behind ropes and buzzers go off if you lean in too close. I did get a discount because I had my student ID. Later I learned those tourist maps they give out have $3 coupons in them, same as my discount.Maybe if you have a half hour to kill and it's raining and you don't mind spending $10 per person, try the wax museum. Otherwise, there are better ...Read More

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on April 6, 2006

Wax Museum at Fisherman's Wharf
145 Jefferson St
San Francisco, California 94133
(415) 202 0400

Bay Quackers

I went on a duckboat tour. It's one of those boats from WWII that they used to storm Normandy. There are tours just like this in other big cities, but I had never been on one.

It was cool to ride in, but the tour was a little bit of a let down. The land part of the tour was what we passed on our way to the launch site, then we putted around in the bay for a bit, and then the rest of the land tour was what we saw on our way back to where they park the boat duck. I did see areas of the city I hadn't been to, including SBC park.

I did this on my day in SF when I had nothing else to do. It kept me occupied for about an hour and a half. It only put me back $32.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 6, 2006

Bay Quackers
Fisherman's Wharf
San Francisco, California 94133

Alamo Square Park

Attraction | "Alamo Square"

Alamo Square is where the houses from the show Full House are, so it was a photo op. At the end of the opening credits, where they're all sitting on a blanket on the grass.

It was funny to watch all the tour buses stop, unload people, load them back up, and chug up the hill to leave.

To get there I used my all day MUNI pass to take two different buses. Then walked about two blocks. Easy to get to if you have the time for public transportation. If you drive, there is parallel parking around the park, but it looked full and probably a lot like everywhere else in the city.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 6, 2006