San Francisco Journals

Beautiful San Francisco in 2 Days

An October 2004 trip to San Francisco by GilraenEstel

Quote: My first port of call on my trip to a whole new continent, San Francisco won me over with its laid-back charm and breathtaking beauty. First impressions really do matter!

Wyndham Canterbury

Hotel | "Best Western Canterbury"

A good-sized room that was pleasant, clean, and airy, with good views, nice beds, and coffeemaking facilities. The en-suite room left a little to be desired, to be honest. The front-desk staff was helpful and valet parking was a tad on the expensive side, but reasonable considering it was in the middle of San Francisco! The staff was helpful and willing to give tips on where to go and great places to eat.

Wyndham Canterbury
750 Sutter Street
San Francisco, California 94109

Jazz at Pearl's

Though way out of our budget, we decided to treat ourselves on our first proper night in San Francisco to a meal at Jazz at Pearl's. A traditional 1930s supper club, we had a gorgeous meal (I would highly recommend their steak) and were able to sit back and relax to the live jazz band playing only a few feet away from us. The service was exemplary and the atmosphere was gorgeous. Should I ever return to San Francisco, I would definitely re-visit this restaurant.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 3, 2006

Jazz at Pearl's
256 Columbus Avenue
San Francisco, California 94133

Sea Lion Cafe

After a long day sightseeing in San Francisco and a trip to Alcatraz, this little cafe above where the sea lions congregate was a welcome stopoff point. We were able to sit by the window and watch the sea lions whilst we waited for our food, which was very nice. I had my first try of clam chowder, which was lovely!

Sea Lion Cafe
Pier 39, Building K
San Francisco, California 94102

Alcatraz Island/The Rock

Attraction | "Alcatraz Island—A Trip into the Unknown"

A trip over to Alcatraz Island is a must-do when visiting San Francisco—although I would recommend you book well in advance—and is well worth the money. We boarded the boat at Fisherman's Wharf and had a lovely 20-minute cruise over to the island (even though it was the end of October, it was very much like a British summer day!). When we alighted at the other end, we had a bit of a trek up the hill to get to the actual prison (if your mobility is limited, investigate what help they give, as it is STEEP!), where we were given an audio tour in whichever language we needed. So we put on our headphones and wondered around the historic prison where notorious criminals such as Al Capone were held in tiny l...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 3, 2006

Alcatraz Island/The Rock
San Francisco Bay
Golden Gate National Recreation Area, San Francisco 94133

We drove up Route One to Port Reyes, where many different types of walks are available, and walked the earthquake trail. As San Francisco lies on the San Andreas Fault, it is prone to being hit by major earthquakes at any time, and this walk guides you to places where the earth has actually shifted, whether by a few inches or actual feet. Whilst we were walking around, we saw many types of predatory birds flying over head.

A Walk Down The Earthquake Trail
Port Reyes
San Francisco, California

Lombard Street

Attraction | "Lombard St. - The Crookidest Street in the World!"

A little detour on our way home from Port Reyes, this very steep street involves five or six hairpin turns. It is a bit of a novelty for tourists (the residents must hate us!) but the views from the top are stunning. A 5 minute bit of fun!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on April 3, 2006

Lombard Street
Between Leavenworth and Hyde Streets on Russian Hill
San Francisco, California

Golden Gate Park

Golden Gate Park was originally conceived to help urbanites escape the chaos of the city. And boy, does it ever. You would not realise that you're in the middle of a city at times! We took a leisurely stroll around it, prior to going to Alcatraz Island, although we barely touched the tip of the iceberg!

If you wanted to see everything the park offered, I would recommend spending the full day there, as it is massive—it took us 15 minutes to drive from one end to the other!

Golden Gate Park
501 Stanyan Street
San Francisco, California 94118

Although this was my first leg in my Great American road trip, I would say it was my favourite part of the whole holiday.

It is a beautiful, bustling city that has something to offer everyone - from Jazz to theatre, from shopping to fine eating. The people were friendly, the atmosphere relaxed, and the prices greatly varied. If you do go then I would  recommend going to the Actor's Theatre on Sutter Street, to see their amazing actors in action, and taking a cable car. Cliched, I know, but no trip to San Francisco is complete without it! I would recommend this beautiful, vibrant city to anybody planning on going to California. Did I mention how beautiful the city is?

About the Writer