San Francisco Journals

Week in San Francisco

A March 2006 trip to San Francisco by traveller22

Quote: I stayed with a friend for a week, and explored the many restaurants, shopping, and nightlife.

Zarzuela

I went to this tapas-style restaurant as a birthday celebration and had an blast. It's a nice restaurant with fabulous food and atmosphere. Located in the Russian Hill at Union and Hyde streets, it's across from Swanson's, a great ice-cream store. I recommended reservations, although we went on a Wednesday night and were fine. We tried to go later in the week again and they were booked solid. If you have a larger party, I recommend asking for the private room in the back. It's definitely an intimate restaurant and not a loud, boisterous place. The sangria is fabulous! I also recommend the calamari and goat cheese tapas plate. My mouth is watering at the thought of it. It's one of the best restaurants ...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 23, 2006

Zarzuela
2000 Hyde St
San Francisco, California 94102
+1 415 346 0800

Boudin at Fisherman's Wharf

Restaurant | "Boudin Sourdough Bakery Cafe"

I went to this restaurant, located in Fisherman's Wharf, during a fairly crowded weekend day in the spring. It was great; we sat outside and people-watched. The store is a museum, tour, restaurant, and cafe all in one. You can choose what type of restaurant setting you are in the mood for. In true Californian fashion, they serve wine in the cafe, making it a nice midday option. We ate at the cafe, and I had the famous clam chowder in the bread bowl, which was fabulous. My friend had the Chinese chicken salad, and although she said it was great, it was a little heavy on the dressing. In the past, I've had the pizzas, and they've been great. I recommend this cafe as a quick stop on a busy day.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 23, 2006

Boudin at Fisherman's Wharf
160 Jefferson Street
San Francisco, California 94133

Crissy Field

I woke up early one clear morning and strapped on my sneakers. Running is a great way to explore the city and people-watch, and there are always tons of people around, so you rarely feel unsafe. I chose to run along the waterfront, from the Fort Mason area down to Crissy Field and up to the Golden Gate Bridge. The views of the green water and blue skies were amazing; I ran along the water the whole time and watched the ferry coming over from Sausalito. There was a great path, so I never worried about traffic. I went early in the morning, and there were still plenty of people around, so I never felt unsafe. There were many people around Crissy Field, playing with their dogs or lounging by the water. Fo...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 23, 2006

Crissy Field
603 Mason at Halleck
San Francisco, California 94129

I went shopping on this adorable street near the Marina District of San Francisco. It is filled with cute boutique shops with specialty items, as well as nice restaurants and cafes. I enjoyed taking my morning to stroll up the street to window shop. Among the boutiques are also some well-known stores, such as Nine West, Bebe, Papyrus, Union Street Papary (a great card store), and Red Dot, as well as other clothing stores. The street has some great flower shops and cute coffee shops (and Starbucks). I recommend the Boulangerie, a French cafe/bakery with nice pastries and coffee, as well as salads and sandwiches. I highly recommend strolling down this street when in the city.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 23, 2006

Cow Hollow Shopping Area
Union Street In The Marina District
San Francisco, CA

I walked down, after shopping on Union Street, to peruse this equally as wonderful shopping area. Closer to the water, it's in the heart of the marina, filled with more name-brand stores, such as Gap, Williams-Sonoma, Pizza My Heart (a great pizza shop around California), and a few restaurants and cafes. The street is not as boutiquey as Union Street to the south, but it's a great place to find unique items.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 23, 2006

Chestnut Street Shops
Chestnut Street
San Francisco, California

This sports bar is a great place to catch a game if you're in town. I went for March Madness, when they had several TVs going, and it was a great place. The drink specials were reasonable and we got a Sam Adams pitcher for $15. It's located in the Marina District and is a great choice.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on March 23, 2006