Chicago Journals

Suburban Girl's Take on Chicago

A travel journal to Chicago by Scorpiosue1102

Quote: I've lived outside of Chicago all of my life. Should I go and do more there??? Absolutely! BUT here are some places to take advantage of—some may be in the 'burbs too ;-).

Suburban Girl's Take on Chicago

As I sit here thinking of what to do in Chicago, my first thought is "what isn't there to do in Chicago??". I love our museums, tall buildings, shopping areas, restaurants, sports teams, etc. It truly is a great city with soooo much to do.Quick Tips: You can purchase an entertainment book for Chicago (www.entertainment.com). Great deals in the book. Also, you can purchase a Go Chicago card. "Go Chicago™ Card is the perfect way to save on your Chicago vacation. You'll get unlimited FREE general admission to over 25 attractions and tours for one low price, as well as discounts at some of Chicago's top retailers and restaurants!" 3 day cards are at this time. Check out http://www.gochicagocard....Read More

Italian Village

The first thing to know is that this is just a charming restaurant. It's like eating in an Italian village, hence the name. Service is fantastic. Finished dishes didn't stay on our table for more than 2 minutes.

The food is out of this world. The Pollo al Limone chicken breast was done perfectly. Italian antipasto is just tasty.

Lastly, the Italian Rum Cake was the best I've ever had.

Enjoy!

Italian Village
71 West Monroe St
Chicago, Illinois 60603
+1 312 332 7005

This is just a popcorn store, but that description does not do it justice. This is the BEST popcorn ever. It's even on Oprah's favorites list.

Be prepared to wait in a long line to get your popcorn, and cameras are not allowed.

The Caramel Crisp is my favorite. My sister-in-law loves the mixture of the Caramel Crisp and the Cheesecorn.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 23, 2006

Garrett Popcorn Shop
670 N. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611
312.944.2630

Art Institute of Chicago

Attraction | "The Art Institute of Chicago"

I absolutely love this museum. It has been over 5 years since I've been there, but it's great. You can see Monet, Picasso, Cassat, Cezanne, Chigall, Dali, Gauguin, van Gogh (self-portrait), Klee, Manet, Renoir, Rembrandt, Seurat, O'Keefe, Hopper, etc. Too many to add.This definitely is a whole day affair.$12 adults, $7 Children, students and seniors. Open everyday except Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Art Institute of Chicago
111 South Michigan Ave.
Chicago, Illinois 60603

Brookfield Zoo

I've been to many zoos, but I just love this zoo. It's big and spread out, which is nice. It's like strolling through a big park. One tip, park at the south entrance. It's much less busy.I love the Living Coast, as does my son. A big aquarium, jellyfish, a huge wave pool, and the penguins in a natural environment. Very fun.Tropic World is a must too. You go through South America, Asia, and Africa. The zoo has many animals from these areas. The best are the gorillas—they are very close and are just magnificent. The whole zoo is great. Check out www. brookfieldzoo.org.Other musts: Seven Seas, both children zoos, polar bears, giraffe's, fragile kingdom, Australia house, Butterflies and Indian Lake.Have f...Read More

Brookfield Zoo