London Journals

More of London

A March 2006 trip to London by Mandan Lynn

Quote: Theatre wasn't all I saw while I was in London. Here are some of my other favorites.

More of London

There's so much to see in London! During this particular trip, the plays and the National Gallery were my favorite things, but I highly recommend the Tower of London, which I toured on a previous trip to London. It's fascinating--don't miss it!

See www.londonfreelist.com.

If you're a budget traveler, you will love this site, which is full of things you can do in London—for free!

The Underground and your own two feet.

ICCo

ICCoGoodge Street (take the Northern Line on the Underground to the Goodge Street station, turn right when you come out of the station, and turn right on Goodge Street).I felt like Forrest Gump as I wandered through the crowd looking for a place I could enjoy my meal: "Seat's taken," they said. "Seat's taken." ICCo makes excellent pizza—as evidenced by the large lunchtime crowd. I finally found a free seat at a table occupied by three young British women on their lunch break. You can also get the pizza to go—which perhaps I should have done. The best part: these 11" pizzas start at just £3 for a plain cheese! When you start adding toppings you'll rarely pay mo...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 19, 2006

ICCo
46 Goodge Street
London, England
+44 (0) 20 7580 9250

National Gallery

The National GalleryOpen daily 10am-6 pm, Wednesdays 10am-9pmAlmost 2500 paintings, dated 1250-1900The best thing about museums in London is that most of them are free! The National Gallery is one of them. It charges a few pounds for special exhibitions, but there is plenty to see in the permanent collection. My tour guide said he's worked there for 6 years and has only seen about a quarter of the works in the museum.Take a tour. Or several, if you plan to be there all day, anyway. The first is at 11:30am; it takes about an hour. The paintings are even more interesting when you have an expert sharing all the little insights about each one.You can also take an ...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 19, 2006

National Gallery
Trafalgar Square
London, England WC2N 5DN
+44 (207) 747 2885

Sunday-Thursday 10am-6pm, Friday-Saturday 10am-8pm

This museum houses art from 1900 to the present day. I'm not that into modern art, but I still appreciated a stroll through this free, permanent collection. Again, there are entrance fees for special exhibitions.

My favorite modern artists are Picasso, Monet, and Pollock, and you can find them here. You can also find a painting that looks like a can of red paint thrown at a canvas. Beside it hangs an explanation that reads something to the effect of, "The artist angrily threw red paint at the canvas." Yeah.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 19, 2006