Gambia Journals

Kunta Kinte's Neighborhood

A March 1998 trip to Gambia by kdieng

Banjul, Gambia Photo, Gambia, Africa More Photos
Quote: I went with my husband to Banjul and Serekunda. We stayed at several hotels, basically a new hotel every night, and with family at the end of our stay. The country is beautiful, quiet and safe. People are friendly and there is little harassment of tourists on the streets.

Kunta Kinte's Neighborhood

Gambia Countryside Photo, Gambia, Africa
The Abuko Nature Reserve, 15 miles south of Banjul, is great. You can take a bus and then a taxi there and the entrance fee is cheap; non-Africans pay a higher entrance fee than Africans. Inside the park are many free-roaming monkeys that you can try to touch. There are also some caged lions and hyenas, which is sad as they have little space and laze around doing nothing. The vegetation is beautiful though and it is a nice place to walk around and relax in. The beaches in Serekunda are beautiful. And there are many wonderful artisan shops and markets in both Serekunda and Banjul. I highly recommend going to the top of the arch in Banjul at sunset or sunrise, the view is beautiful....Read More

Wyndham Bali Hai Villas

Hotel | "Kantora Hotel"

We stayed in a nice double, although we had to move to another room because we had no hot water in our bathroom as promised; you pay more for hot water. Clean, quiet and pleasant.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on February 20, 2001

Wyndham Bali Hai Villas
3970 Wyllie Road
Princeville, Hawaii 96722

The place was friendly and clean. Price included a small breakfast of bread and tea. Friendly staff. A bit hard to find though, on a side street about a 10 minute walk from the city center. Rooms clean and basic. We did have problems with the water though and were unable to take a shower in the morning. Also, the bathroom was shared by 3 rooms and was not private. Great accomodation for those traveling cheap and not needing any extras.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 7, 2001

Abuko Nature Reserve

Abuko Nature Reserve Photo, Gambia, Africa
We really enjoyed the park. There are a lot of small monkeys that are free-running, not caged. I tried to get close, but the closest they'd let me get was about 5 feet. Lots of vegetation, so there is good shade in the hot sun. It's not crowded, so it's very peacful and you can spend a relaxed day there. It's best to bring a backpack with drinks and food with you, although these can be bought, at a higher price, at the end of the park walk. Foreigners pay a higher entrance fee than Africans, but it's still cheap, a few dollars.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 7, 2001

Run-in with the hotel staff/police

Story/Tip

Downtown Banjul Photo, Gambia, Africa
My husband and I checked in to the Kantora Hotel and asked specifically if they had hot water, as the last place we stayed they had not and I really wanted a nice warm shower. They assured us our room had hot water, so we checked in, dropped off our stuff and went to view some sights. We returned tired and dirty and I went to take a shower, only to discover NO hot water! So we went downstairs and asked if we could be moved to another room with hot water and were told, "No." Well, I refused to pay extra $$ for hot water that I didn't have access to and demanded we be given another room. Management was called and again we were told no. The situation enfolded and got very heated, at which point I s...Read More