Ambergris Caye Journals

Trip to Belize

A February 2005 trip to Ambergris Caye by JodyS

Quote: My husband and I wanted to try something different this year; we normally go to Mexico, and I had heard good things about Belize.

Trip to Belize

It had a great relaxed island feel. Every night we would walk "downtown." Shoes were not needed!! Sand was everywhere. Everyone is very friendly.

There are some folks selling timeshares.

The minivans are the only taxis. The best way to get around is to either walk or rent a golf cart.
Excellent!!! We love this resort and would recommend it to any of our friends. The rooms were nice; they are bungalows with little decks and a couple of chairs to hang out on. The staff was wonderful!! The location was  excellent, just a few blocks from downtown, the airport, restaurants, grocery stores, and the beer distributor.

Ramon's Village Resort
U.S. Reservation Office
San Pedro, Belize
(601) 649-1990

BC's Beach Bar

This is the greatest little hangout. Their nachos are to die for!!! We could hang out for hours and split the nachos and our tab would be minimal. It's just down the beach from Ramon's. It was a nice break after hanging out on the beach all day. This is where we went for our late lunch.

BC's Beach Bar
Next To Sunbreeze Hotel

Jerry's Crab Shack

This was my husband's favorite restaurant, right across the road from Ramon's. We ate here two or three times. The staff was good. We could sit outside with our toes in the sand.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 11, 2006

Jerry's Crab Shack
Coconut Drive

Mata Chica

This restaurant is north of San Pedro. We ate here one afternoon when we rented a golf cart to explore the island. We split a burger and fries--very good.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 11, 2006

Mata Chica

Elvi's Kitchen

We ate here twice. It is an excellent restaurant. I tried the conch and some other local foods. It is highly recommend. It can be very busy, though, so depending on what time you go, you may want reservations.

Elvi's Kitchen
Pescador Drive
San Pedro, Ambergris Caye

Wet Willy's

This is kind of a neat restaurant out on the end of a pier. The night we were there it was pretty slow, but we had a great time. The food was okay. It's better to go there for the drinks.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on February 11, 2006

Wet Willy's
Wet Willy's Pier

Snorkeling

We went out with six other people, and the boat ride was pretty long. I am not very comfortable in the water, but there were a lot of neat things to see. The boat took us north of San Pedro. I wish it would have been a bigger boat, though. I personally probably would have been better just going off the shore at Ramon's.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on February 11, 2006

Snorkeling
San Pedro

Tikal National Park

Attraction | "Tikal"

We bought airline tickets to fly from San Pedro to Guatemala. This was a day trip. I want to say that it was about $350 per person, maybe a little less. We boarded a plane in San Pedro early in the morning. From Belize we flew into Flores. Included in the fee, a very knowledgeable guide met us and two others and brought us to the site. We saw the Guatemalan countryside, great animals, and the ruins. Lunch was included, and surprisingly good. Excellent day!! It was quite hot midday. Tickets were bought near the San Pedro airport from a golf cart-rental place. This was the cheapest we could find.

Tikal National Park
Peten Basin
Tikal, Guatemala
+502 2367-2837

Golf Cart Rental

Story/Tip

We only rented a cart for 1 day, and I wish we would have done this for the whole week. It was a lot of fun to cruise around. We headed north, stopping at some pubs along the way.