Los Angeles Journals

Hostelling It, LA-Style

A November 2004 trip to Los Angeles by lovewandering

Quote: Staying in a hostel is a great way to have a cheap, interesting vacation, even in your home country.

Orbit Hotel

Hotel | "Orbit Hotel & Hostel"

I was a little skeptical at first, staying in a hostel for my first time, and in my own country. However, my experiences proved me wrong. The majority of the people staying there were from the UK or Europe, which, for me,  added to the excitement. There is a cheap food and beer menu for all the budget travelers, as well as discount day trips and night entertainment. There was even a singer one night who will probably be famous soon, he was so good. The rooms are all dorm style with 6 beds to one bathroom, however they were well kept and didn't sketch me out at all. This is a great place to go if you're looking for a cheap stopover in LA, don't mind sharing a room with strangers, and want to meet ...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 9, 2006

Orbit Hotel
7950 Melrose Ave.
West Hollywood, California 90046

Universal Studios Hollywood

Attraction | "Universal Studios"

I'm a 24-year-old, and still a child at heart. I had an amazing day at Universal Studios in LA. The weather is beautiful, so obviously that's a plus. If you go during the week you'll find the lines are very short. I had a chance to go on the rides numerous times, never getting bored of them. I'd recommend The Mummy ride to anyone who hasn't been to a Universal Studios recently. It's so much fun—I was there over a year ago and I still keep thinking about that one ride. The park isn't as good as the one in Orlando, Florida, but I'd still recommend it if you're in the area, especially if you're traveling with children.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 9, 2006

Universal Studios Hollywood
100 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, California 91608
(818) 864 837-725

Sunset Plaza

Attraction | "Sunset Boulevard"

If you like going out, and have a chance while you're in the area, you must go to Sunset Blvd. at night. Don't show up before 11pm, that's when the excitement begins. A lot of the clubs charge a cover, but you might be paying to see a band that will be much more expensive to see in concert. A lot of undiscovered, or only partly discovered, talent plays there before they get really huge. So $10 is well worth it. If you're gonna go out for the night, this is one place you're bound to have fun.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 9, 2006