Florence Journals

4 Months in Florence, Italy

A September 2005 trip to Florence by traveller22

Quote: I think of myself as a mini expert on Florence, having spent 4 months there, I've explored enough restaurants and sights.
I stayed in a private apartment in the city of Florence, right down the street from the Duomo. I highly recommend this area if you want to stay for a longer trip and get a real feeling for the city. Having our own kitchen allowed us to cook with food from the many markets in Florence. For us, it was the perfect accommodations to come and go from, all while saving money.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 8, 2006

Golden View Open Bar

Restaurant | "Golden view"

This is my favorite restaurant in the city. The food is amazing (try the Papa al Pomodoro) and the view is to die for. Try to request a table along the windows, although, all of the tables are fabulous. In the summer, the windows open and a wonderful breeze from the river flows through the restaurant.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 8, 2006

Golden View Open Bar
Via De' Bardi, 58 Rosso
Florence, Italy
+39 (055) 214502

Boboli Gardens (Giardini di Boboli)

Attraction | "Boboli Gardens"

I spent many afternoons in the Boboli Gardens with my painting supplies. It was a wonderful respite from the busy city life, and bringing a camera or paints is a wonderful way to document some of your trip, even for the novice painter. If you have Children they will love this place. There is plenty of grass and room to run, the statues are gorgeous and wonderful representations of old world Florence. If you climb the stairs straight through from the entrance it leads to an amazing view of the city.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on February 8, 2006

Boboli Gardens (Giardini di Boboli)
Behind the Pitti Palace
Florence, Italy 50122
+39 (055) 2388786

San Lorenzo Market

Several days, when not in the mood for a entire meal at lunch, I would wander through the markets. It's a wonderful place to grab a sandwich or fruit and observe the Italians doing their shopping. The San Lorenzo Market had the food inside and all the leather, clothes, and pottery outside at stands.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on February 8, 2006

San Lorenzo Market
Piazza San Lorenzo
Florence, Italy 50123

Michelangelo Square/Piazzale Michelangelo

Attraction | "Piazzale Michelangelo"

A must do is taking a walk up the hill to the Piazzale Michaelangelo. This is by far the best view in the city. It can be quite a hike (1 hour walk from the duomo) or you can take a cab up the hill, although some of the best views are on the walk up. It is across the river from the duomo.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 8, 2006