Chicago Journals

Day Trip for a Wonderful Theatre Experience

A May 2005 trip to Chicago by dani_gurl2887

Quote: We went to Chicago, Illinois, for a day to see the musical "Wicked." We also took in the experience of the Navy Pier.

Michigan Avenue/The Magnificent Mile

Attraction | "Michigan Avenue"

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. If you have time, make sure you stop down on Michigan Avenue. Even if you are not there for the shopping (which can be a bit pricey), there are great things to take in all around. When we were there, street performers were all over. It was really neat. There were real people who where pretending to be statues, and believe me, they pulled it off quite well. There was also music. About every 3 blocks or so, there would be a new performer or group. Like I said before, the shopping can get expensive, but sometimes it can be nice just to wander in and out of the stores and be amazed by what people will pay for a towel. I do highly encourage the experience!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 6, 2006

Michigan Avenue/The Magnificent Mile
North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611

Oriental Theatre, Ford Center for the Performing Arts

Attraction | "Ford Theatre"

Recently, well, actually about a year ago, I went and saw the musical "Wicked." It was outstanding. I couldn't have been more impressed. I was with a large group on a tour bus, so the traffic was no problem for us. Sorry, but I can't help out anyone looking for a good place to park.Once we arrived at the theatre, I was amazed by the structure itself. The Ford Theatre is very well maintained and the staff was super-friendly. If you had trouble in finding your seats, the staff was right there to kindly help you, which is a change from some theatre performances I have been to. The show itself was breathtaking. If you can get tickets to this musical, go! I enjoyed it so much, I am thinkin...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 6, 2006

Oriental Theatre, Ford Center for the Performing Arts
24 West Randolph St
Chicago, Illinois 60601
+1 312 782 2004; +1

Navy Pier

Navy Pier is a very large shopping area with little shops and food places all set on, well, a pier. There is also a very large Ferris wheel, boats you can buy rides on, and, I think, miniature golf as well. As you can probably assume, this is a large tourist attraction. Prices are pretty high and there are normally a lot of people. I encourage stopping by for a little bit, maybe catching a ride on the oversize Ferris wheel and heading somewhere else for the rest of the day. While this can be an interesting place to visit and a good one to say, "Oh, I've been there," about, it can become quite nauseating.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on February 6, 2006