New York Journals

Revisiting New York

An October 2005 trip to New York by drazzelb

Regency Hotel Photo, New York, New York More Photos
Quote: Like a best friend, NYC is something you can never tire of. I haven't been back since 2000, so I decided to revisit my friend New York City.

Regency Hotel

Hotel | "The Regency"

Regency Hotel Photo, New York, New York
The accommodations at the Regency were superb! The rooms are spacious, with an elegant ambience of dark wood and white linen sheets. There was the most comfortable bed I have ever experienced in a hotel. The room offers everything you may need for an enjoyable experience. From the minute you step foot into the Regency, you feel the elegance the hotel offers. You can certainly see why this hotel coined the phrase "power breakfast."

Regency Hotel
540 Park Ave at 61st Street
New York, New York 10021-7385
212-759-4100

Esca

Mario Batali's Esca restaurant is a dining adventure. My friend and I decided to try the tasting menu, and it was certainly worth it. The menu items ranged from sea urchin to spaghetti with octopus to palette-cleansing cheeses. It was an exotic dining experience filled with many firsts. The service was exceptional and the ambience was amazing! This was truly one of the best meals in NYC!

Esca
402 West 43rd St
New York, New York 10036
+1 212 564 7272

Spice Market

Jean Georges' Spice Market is visually appealing for your senses! The restaurant is designed with an Asian influence (dark mahogany wood with colored cushions and pillows). It feels as if you are eating in a royal palace in the Far East. I certainly recommend the chicken samosa and the black pepper shrimp! The food is spicy, but every bite is as good as the last. Spice Market is a must when visiting NYC!

Spice Market
29 9th Avenue
New York, New York 10014

Geisha

I met with a friend who lives in the city for drinks at this New York lounge/restaurant.

The lounge has semi-private banquettes where you can have a drink and enjoy the atmosphere.
The lounge is filled with locals and tourists alike. It doesn't have much decor per se, as it is your typical modern restaurant serving sushi, but the people-watching makes up for that!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 28, 2006

Geisha
33 East 61st Street
New York, New York 10021

Blue Water Grill

Sunday Brunch is a New York experience at this establishment. We had Bloody Marys at the bar as we waited for our table. The service was not great, but the food has a way of making up for that. I had the eggs Benedict. My friend had the lobster with eggs. Both plates were mouth-watering!

I will certainly revisit Blue Water Grill on my next visit!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 28, 2006

Blue Water Grill
31 Union Square West
New York, New York 10003
+1 212 675 9500

Revisiting

Story/Tip

It had been a while since I had visited NYC. I was excited to see how much the city had changed and what new adventures, whether culinary or otherwise, the city had to offer. The city didn't disappoint. This trip was filled with mixed emotions, as I had incredible times shopping on Madison Avenue and dining at incredible restaurants, but I visited Ground Zero. Being there is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. The comforting thought was how far the city has come since that tragic day in American history. Although my old friend NYC wasn't the same, it certainly is healing its wounds.