San Francisco Journals

San Francisco and The Wine Country

An April 2000 trip to San Francisco by LindaV

Quote: This improptu trip I took with my husband and friends was A long flight for only 5 days but it was well worth it. We took in so much that it felt like we were there for a week!

San Francisco and The Wine Country

There was 6 of us so we rented a mini-van at the airport. Great move, this enabled us to cover a lot of ground in the short time we had. We arrived late on Wednesday night so pretty much just checked into the Marriott Hotel at Fisherman's Wharf and tried to adapt to the time change. My husband and I got up early on Thursday morning for a jog before breakfast, well! We were stunned at the amount of people, jogging and walking at 7:00am! We took the ferry to Sausalito for the day, it's a quaint town across the bay from San Fran. It has been rumored that Jack London wrote the SEA WOLF there. We also went to Alcatraz which I highly reccmmend. Going to the wineries were such a treat. I never saw a more be...Read More

San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf

Hotel | "Marriot At Fishermans Wharf"

When we arrived we requested all king size rooms and to have rooms near each other. The hotel was very accommodating. The rooms were very clean and updated. They have a parking garage (which you are charged for daily)and a great breakfast buffet in their main restaurant. The hotel is situated walking distance from a just about everything and there is a small deli/food store directly accross the street which worked out well for our winery trip.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 9, 2001

San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
1250 Columbus Avenue
San Francisco, California 94133
415-775-7555

The Stinking Rose

We took a walk into little Italy and stopped for dinner at the Stinking Rose. You have to love garlic to try this place. Everything is made with heavy garlic! They come out with bread and roasted garlic that is to die for! Really good food at a reasonable price. Our waiter made our visit there so delightful. He had a scrap book of photos, letters, autographs, from famous people to restuarant patrons. A very funny man, who has been volunteering at a nearby hospital for over 20 years as the Easter Bunny. The quirkiest item on the menu would have to be Garlic Ice Cream...No, I couldn't bring myself to try it!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 9, 2001

The Stinking Rose
325 Columbus Avenue
San Francisco, California 94133

Caymus Wineries.

Story/Tip

A friend and I stumbled upon Caymus Cabernet Sauvignon about 5 years ago. We were at the bar ordering beer for our husbands and wine for ourselves. Not looking at the prices we were a little taken aback when the bar bill was almost $30 for four drinks. Well, the wine said it all. at $10 a glass it was the most incredible red wine we ever tatsted and have been hooked since. Unfortunately this wine is hard to come by in New York and VERY expensive (aprox. $75 a bottle at the liquor store over $100 at a restaurant). So when we planned this trip to San Fran. I knew a trip to Caymus was a must! What an incredible visit! In all my years of wine tasting I never had an experience quite like thi...Read More