Los Angeles Journals

A September 2005 trip to Los Angeles by surfninja

Disneyland Park Photo, Anaheim, California More Photos
Quote: Los Angeles, CA

Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area

Hotel | "Holiday Inn - Anaheim Resort Area"

We were very happy with the value we got at this hotel. It was a real hotel with ''doors on the inside'', as I like to say. There was a pool, although we didn't use it, and it was easy access to Interstate 5 to get everywhere we wanted to go - and the price was right! The Anaheim area seemed lacking in restaurants, however--especially ones that were open after 9 or 10pm.

Holiday Inn Anaheim-Resort Area
1915 S Manchester Ave.
Anaheim, California 92802

Disneyland Park

Attraction | "Disneyland"

Disneyland Park Photo, Anaheim, California
We visited Disneyland on the occasion of the ''Happiest Celebration on Earth''. It was my first time visiting since I was five years old. I am a frequent visitor of Walt Disney World in Florida. Disneyland, comparatively, has ''kitsch'' as well as a more intimate feel.

Disneyland Park
1313 South Harbor Blvd.
Anaheim, California 92802

Universal Studios Hollywood

Attraction | "Universal Studios"

Universal Studios Hollywood Photo, Universal City, California
I worked at Universal Studios Florida for a number of years, so of course, I had to see the ''real thing!'' Our trip was rather rushed. Allow the better part of a day to see the whole thing, and plan well if you want to see shows like Water World.

Universal Studios Hollywood
100 Universal City Plaza
Universal City, California 91608
(818) 864 837-725

Hollywood & Highland Center

Attraction | "Hollywood & Highland"

Hollywood & Highland Center Photo, Los Angeles, California
We ''did'' this area in about 45 minutes. It is a must-see but doesn't take long, unless you actually stop to see a movie or go to Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Hollywood & Highland Center
6801 Hollywood Boulevard
Hollywood, California 90028

Santa Monica State Beach

Attraction | "Santa Monica Beach"

Santa Monica State Beach Photo, Los Angeles, California
We visited the Santa Monica Pier and took a bike ride to Venice Beach, which was super fun!  I am also including pictures of the former Fox Ranch (now Malibu Creek State Park) where M*A*S*H was shot - although it was closed due to fires the day we visited.

Santa Monica State Beach
Ocean Ave at Colorado Ave
Los Angeles, California 90401

The Studios

Story/Tip

Paramount Photo, Los Angeles, California
We visited most of the major studios while in Hollywood and attended several TV show tapings. The Audiences Unlimited website is a great place to start. You can get ''tickets'' about a month in advance of the dates you want to attend. Typically, a half-hour show takes about 3 hours to shoot, unless it is live. Here is a tour of the water towers of Hollywood.