Beijing Journals

Beijing Beer

An October 2000 trip to Beijing by Christabel

Quote: Those Beijingers really know how to party. Unlike lots of ex-pat cities, the locals congegrate to the same bars and clubs as the foreign devils. Endless day time activities in one of the world's most facinating cities, the nightlife is great even on an international scale.

Beijing Beer

I was hestitant about a night out in Sanlitun, in one of Beijing's embassy neighbourhoods. I feared mobs of drunk foreigners tripping over each other, looking stupid. I was surprised by the number of Chinese people, affluent as they might have been, frequenting this part of town. Adding to my comfort and dismay, the police were beating a man at the local station. No one seemed concerned by my presense. The bars were cool, modern and full of Chinese people. After a night of drinking on the strip, my new friends and I easily found our way to an after-hours club, with a DJ and what seemed to be Chinese gangsters. Quick Tips: As far as conventional sights are concerned my highlight was certainly...Read More

Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant

Restaurant | "Qianmen Quanjade Roast Duck Restaurant"

Ask anyone and they'll tell you to come here. There are pictures of George Bush and Fidel Castro, amoung others on the walls. The duck is great and the atmosphere is unique, just be sure to snack before you go, the wait is terrible. A reservation is recommended, if you could pull it off. You arrive put your name on a a list, wait an hour and are responsible for hearing your name or number called in Chinese. A challenge, but worth it.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on February 6, 2001

Quanjude Roast Duck Restaurant
32 Qianmen Avenue
Beijing, China 100051
+86 (0)10 6511 2418

Public Space

Modern decor, lots of glass and white concrete. Very crowded, but the host seems endlessly accomodating with a selection of card tables and folding chairs. There's a DJ and it's a good place to find out what's going on later in the evening.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on February 6, 2001