Chicago Journals

Highlights of Chicago

A July 2003 trip to Chicago by globetrekr

Travel Photo by IgoUgo memberMore Photos
Quote: Even though I lived here for 3 years, it took a fresh look after being away for awhile for me to truly appreciate what this city has to offer. From its friendly people to its amazing architecture, you can't go wrong with Chicago.

Highlights of Chicago

Chicago is a vibrant and colorful city with so many great things to offer: shopping, eating, sightseeing, and culture. You name it, it's here. But most of all, you have to take the time to appreciate the architecture!

You absolutely must take a boat tour on the river to get the best look at the beautiful buildings.

The L is the best and easiest way to get around town. You can take the blue line from O'Hare right into town.

Hyatt Regency Chicago

Hotel | "Hyatt Regency"

Wrigley Building Photo, Chicago, Illinois
The rooms here are sleek and modern without being cloyingly so. The views from the river side of the building are excellent. The bed was so great that I missed it when I went back home! The decor was rich and inviting. The desk/work area was good for even the hardest-working business person. The lobby had high glass ceilings, and there were many different restaurants and cafes to choose from. The hotel is literally steps away from Michigan Avenue (Magnificent Mile), the river, and beautiful buildings, such as the Wrigley Building. (For more information on the Wrigley Building, check out www.wrigley.com/wrigley/about/about_story_building.asp.)

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 17, 2006

Hyatt Regency Chicago
151 East Wacker Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60601

Art Institute of Chicago

Attraction | "The Art Institute of Chicago"

This art gallery is the ultimate in my opinion. With treasures from all time periods, there is something from everyone's taste. My friend who is not "into art" was even drawn in by the number of "poster" pictures (pictures he has seen prints of in art books and people's living rooms). This is stop no. 1 in Chicago for anyone who visits the city.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 17, 2006

Art Institute of Chicago
111 South Michigan Ave.
Chicago, Illinois 60603

Michigan Avenue/The Magnificent Mile

Attraction | "Michigan Avenue--The Magnificent Mile"

Michigan Avenue/The Magnificent Mile Photo, Chicago, Illinois
I consider myself an avid shopper, but Michigan Avenue is almost too much, even for me! But it is a challenge I'll be willing to tackle again and again. Before my first trip through the mile, I had heard of its magnificence, but I’m not sure I believed it. After a quarter mile of it, I was sold and have been doing my best to tell my friends. One of my favorite finds, however, was just off the avenue. Orvis was just a block over, and it has become an indispensable contributor to my wardrobe.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 17, 2006

Michigan Avenue/The Magnificent Mile
North Michigan Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611

Willis Tower (Sears Tower)

Attraction | "Sears Tower Skydeck"

There are almost no words to describe the sight from the 103rd floor! Before going up, there is a short video about the history of the building. The elevator ride up was quite an experience. There is a little cartoon playing in the elevator to take your mind off the fact that you're being pulled up at an astonishing rate! All around the Skydeck there were interesting facts and arifacts. We were there when a rain storm was coming in. It was fascinating to watch, and there was a raindow. This is a most-see stop in Chicago and a great place to get the lay of the land and an overview of the excellent architecture.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 19, 2006

Willis Tower (Sears Tower)
233 South Wacker Drive
Chicago 60606-8615

Marshall Field's and Company

Attraction | "Marshall Field's"

I had heard of Marshall Field's as one of Chicago's premier shopping destinations, but I thought, "How great could it be?" But I was simply astonished when I arrived. Not only is the store eight stories (eight!), but it also includes a cafe and deli. I could easily spend a day there! No, make that a week! My mother and I started in the middle, made our way to the top floor, had a lemonade in the cafe, made our way back down to the basement, and had lunch at the deli. Beyond the massive size of the store and its top designer names, we were impressed by the staff. Coming from the Northeast, I was used to being ignored and even snubbed by most employees, but not here. From the woman handing out free s...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 20, 2006