New Orleans Journals

A Week in New Orleans--Pre-Katrina

A June 2006 trip to New Orleans by kimgallegos

Court of Two Sisters Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana More Photos
Quote: I was in New Orleans in June--half business and half pleasure.
Very nice location--close to Bourbon Street and within walking distance of the French Market and river walk. The hotel is clean and attractive. The beds are very comfortable. The 2nd day there a transformer blew so we were without power all day. Not the hotel's fault, but they did not do a good job with communicating the problem.

The food at the hotel was extremely good. My two favorite employees were the doormen--Ryan and another man. They were helpful, accomodating, and went above and beyond the call of duty to make us comfortable. I would stay there again.

Wyndham New Orleans at Canal Place
100 Rue Iberville.

Mother's

You may stand in line at Mother's to get in. Be patient because the wait is definitely worth it. We both got the breakfast special which includes two eggs any style, grits, biscuits or toast, and choice of meat. I also ordered a side of "debris" or their homemade gravy (they are famous for it). My friend also got red beans and rice.

It is best to keep moving once you are at the counter placing your order--they are busy and don't hesitate to tell you to speed it up. Know what you want beforehand.

Mother's
401 Poydras St.

Cafe Du Monde

Restaurant | "Cafe Du Monde Coffee Stand: French Market"

Beignets (square donuts coated with powdered sugar) and a cup of coffee are about the best breakfast food to have when you are in New Orleans. This is a very casual place, and it caters to everyone. The service can be a bit slow, but you will forget about that when you sink your teeth into a warm, doughy beignet.

Cafe Du Monde
800 Decatur Street

Pat O'Brien's

We had to try the famous Hurricane mixed drink, and unfortunately, it was not very good--too sweet and syrupy. The food was mediocre. The open courtyard was pleasant to look at, and our server did the best she could, despite being overwhelmed with customers. Give it a shot--maybe we hit it on a bad night. Many families were eating there, and they had a kid-friendly menu.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on January 11, 2006

Pat O'Brien's
718 St Peter St

Court of Two Sisters Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana
We went to jazz brunch, and we were not disappointed. The buffet was groaning under the weight of so much food. We made several trips to the buffet, and we enjoyed everything. The mimosas were excelent. Our servers were fabulous and very attentive. We wanted for nothing. This is a must!

Court of Two Sisters
613 Royal St
+1 504 522 7261

NOLA

NOLA Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana
Emeril rules! I really enjoyed my dining experience at Nola's. The waitstaff was excellent, and the food was every bit as heavenly as I imagined it would be. I had the buttermilk fried chicken breast with bourbon mashed sweet potatoes, Smithfield ham cream gravy and sauteed sugar snap peas. The waiter convinced me to have dessert, and I am glad he did. It was the white-chocolate bananas foster bread pudding with foster sauce and fudge drizzle. Thank goodness I walked around the rest of the day.

NOLA
534 St. Louis St
+1 504 522 6652

Mr. B's Bistro

Mr. B's Bistro Photo, New Orleans, Louisiana
I did not have a bad meal in New Orleans, and this restaurant was no exception. We had a large party, but we were seated easily because we made reservations. Our waiter was very good and attentive. I had the filet mignon, and it was tendered and cooked to perfection. Dessert is a must! The bread pudding was voted to be the best dessert ordered. Make sure you try their barbequed shrimp too.

Mr. B's Bistro
201 Royal St
(504) 523-2078

A cozy restaurant! The house antipasto is a good starter. Our favorite was the fire-roasted shrimp. It was absolutely the best shrimp I have ever tasted. I ordered the chicken marsala for my entree. It was melt-in-your mouth good. This is a great restaurant for a romantic dinner for two. Service was a bit slow but of good quality.

Maximo's Italian Grill
1117 Decatur Street

Twi Ro Pa

So you want to salsa in the Big Easy? This is the place for you. It is in a big warehouse in the industrial section, but don't let that put you off. We got there early on Saturday night in time for the salsa lesson. The evening started off a bit slow, but soon there was standing room only. The weary can rest on some cushy couches. The drinks could have been a bit better.

Twi Ro Pa
1544 Tchoupitoulas St
New Orleans, Louisiana

Howl at the Moon

We kept coming back for more. The dueling pianos were very entertaining. We were involved in singing and dancing on stage. A two-drink minimum purchase is required, and they are overpriced and watered down. Order a beer--you can't go wrong with that. My favorite part is when they set the pianos on fire. It is crowded, and seating is okay, so I recommend you get there early. This is not for children.

Howl at the Moon
127 Bourbon St

Razzoo Club & Patio

Attraction | "Razzoo Club & Patio"

High-energy club on the weekends. The dance floor is crowded, and the drinks are flowing. The "tube" drinks are fun to try out. We also had fun dancing in the cages. They have unusual contests--including making a bikini out of unusual items. Breast flashing is encouraged onstage but not required. Fun techno-pop sound.

Razzoo Club & Patio
511 Bourbon St
New Orleans, Louisiana 70130

This casino is packed with people of all ages. It is fun to wander around, and they make a mean martini. The staff was extremely friendly. Nice and clean building.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 11, 2006