Stowe Journals

A Snowy October Week in Vermont

An October 2005 trip to Stowe by mconrad1600

Church Street Marketplace Photo, Burlington, Vermont More Photos
Quote: We went to enjoy the foliage, but got lots of snow instead. If we had been prepared for it (boots, etc.) it would have been fine. As a matter of fact, if the resort had been prepared, it would have been even better.

A Snowy October Week in Vermont

Smuggs Photo, Stowe, Vermont
My first recommendation is, if you are going to Smuggler's Notch, go during peak season! At the resort, most of the amenities and activities are shut down during off-season. There is an inside pool, but that's about it. It was very inconvenient as, because of the snow we had while we were there, the power was out a lot so there was no place to eat and nothing to do! (The entire area had no power!) I'm sure some people would just have fun with it - so, if none of that bothers you, go for it. Also, the "notch" itself is gorgeous, and very interesting, but they shut it down once it snows. So we never really got to investigate it - I know I'll have to go back just to do that. Also, the "notch" is a shortc...Read More

Smugglers' Notch Resort

Hotel | "Smugglers Notch"

Best Things Nearby:Burlington and Lake Champlain, Cold Hollow, Trappe Family Lodge, the mountains, Stowe.Best Things About the Resort:This is a large resort situated on a beautiful location. It was off-season when we were there, so many of the activities and amenities were not open. I would recommend going during peak seasons. Resort Experience:Our unit was fabulous! Large and spacious. The master bedroom had a king sized bed and a TV in the bedroom and one in the bathroom over the whirlpool bath. The second bedroom had a queen and two single beds! Also a TV. There was a washer and dryer in the second bathroom. The kitchen was fully stocked--there was a d...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 4, 2006

Smugglers' Notch Resort
4323 Vermont Route 108 South
Smugglers' Notch 05464

Three Tomatoes Tratottoria

Restaurant | "Three Tomatoes"

Brick oven pizzas and great pastas are what they do best! Although, I had homemade pumpkin soup that I think of often!! It was wonderful.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 4, 2006

Three Tomatoes Tratottoria
83 Church St.
Burlington 05401

Trapp Family Lodge Cafe

Restaurant | "Trappe Family Lodge"

Trapp Family Lodge Cafe Photo, Stowe, Vermont
Remember "The Soynd of Music"? This is that family--the place they built in Vermont. A great place to visit, and the food at the cafe is wonderful.
I'm sure that the restaurant is very good as well, but the cafe is more informal and lighter fare.

Trapp Family Lodge Cafe
700 Trapp Hill Road
Stowe, Vermont 05672

Ben and Jerry's Factory

Attraction | "Ben and Jerry"

Because weather was an issue during our stay, we had to find different activities to amuse ourselves. The Ben and Jerry's tour was close to the resort and a fun way to spend an hour or so. First you hear a history of Ben and Jerry themselves and how the partnership started and prospered. Then you go through and watch the ice cream being made. And, at the end is the sampling of a few of the ice creams.

Ben and Jerry's Factory
Route 100 North I-89 Exit 10
Waterbury, Vermont

Church Street Marketplace

Attraction | "Church St Station"

Church Street Marketplace Photo, Burlington, Vermont
This is right in the center of downtown Burlington. A fun place to visit with mostly shopping, but also some great restaurants, music, and sights. The shopping varies from expensive shops to very reasonable. Lake Champlain is also just a couple of blocks away - definitely worth a stop!

Church Street Marketplace