Des Moines Journals

Saturday Night in Des Moines

A January 2001 trip to Des Moines by dvs7310

Quote: Last Saturday, my friend and I decided to take a quick day trip to Des Moines, IA. This is a recap of our day.

Saturday Night in Des Moines

The drive up was fun, they still have snow on the ground in Iowa. The Lakeside Resort Casino is on the way. The mall off of I-235 is nice. Court St. Clubs, that was the highlight of the trip.

We drove around, didn't have much of a problem, but the roads downtown are all one way, making it tricky to park where you want to get close to the clubs.

Pub in the Mall

The food was good, I had a Chili Burger with Fries and a Bud Light. My friend had a regular Cheese Burger with Fries and a coke. The burgers were good, not 5 star by any means, but well worth the $6 they charge for them. I learned quickly to set close to the table while eating a chile burger, the first bite I took left a mark on my jeans.

Pub in the Mall
Near I-235

Lakeside Casino & Resort

Attraction | "Lakeside Casino & Resort"

It was a nice, but smaller, casino. It is about 40 miles south of Des Moines on I-35. It is right off the highway, you'll see it driving by. They had a drawing for $1000 while we were there, but unfortunately neither of us won. Looks like they have a nice buffet too, but we decided to wait until we got to Des Moines to eat.

Lakeside Casino & Resort
I-35

The Mall

This was a nice mall, right off the interstate in West Des Moines. It was two levels with a lot of nice stores (The Gap, The Buckle, Limited, several local stores) and two regional anchor stores that I've never heard of before.

The Mall
I-235

Court Avenue Bars

Attraction | "Court St."

There are many bars and clubs in the area, but 4 are affiliated. They are the Buzz, Papa's Planet, Generations, and Big Kahuna. I think they were 21 and up. You pay $5 cover at one and get a wristband that gets you into all 4 clubs all night. The Buzz was a Techno type club, Generations seemed to be 80's music, Papa's Planet seemed to be 80's too, then Big Kahuna's was mostly hip hop. We stayed at Big Kahuna's most of the night. The dance floors at all 4 clubs are small, but didn't seem too crowded.

All clubs except Big Kahuna also had older crowds, probably mostly over 25.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on January 30, 2001

Court Avenue Bars
Court Avenue and 3rd Street

The Drive Up

Story/Tip

We decided to take the back roads going up. This was MO Rt.13. This took us to just south of the MO/IA border, where we got on I-35 to go the rest of the way (About 100 Miles). We saw rural Missouri at its best. It's not nearly as entertaining as driving through rural Alabama, but it's still interesting. Mo 13 is a 2 lane windy road in most parts. You go through countless small towns. I can tell they are really old towns. It's interesting to see the old buildings in the downtown areas. The drive really loses all interest when you get on I-35; it's pretty much just straight flat highway from there.