Capitol Reef National Park Journals

Capitol Reef National Park

A November 2005 trip to Capitol Reef National Park by LA guy

Travel Photo by IgoUgo memberMore Photos
Quote: Capitol Reef refers to the dome-like rock formation and the impenetrable cliffs that characterize the Waterpocket Fold in the region. However, it is much more, as the historic Fruita and the Freemont River gave ample life to this desert oasis.

Comfort Inn at Capitol Reef

Hotel | "Comfort Inn"

Comfort Inn at Torrey is the former Holiday Inn. The room we got was clean and quite spacious with two queen beds. The room also had a decent sized microwave and a refrigerator. Since we visited in the off season, the pool was closed.

There is a gas station located right beside the hotel, which made it very convenient to gas up. The gas station also has a restaurant, which opens in the summer, and a rather large convenience store. In the morning, there is also a complimentary breakfast. Included in our stay was also free wireless internet. Overall, very pleasant stay. I will stay there again.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 20, 2005

Comfort Inn at Capitol Reef
2424 Hwy 24
Torrey, Utah 84775

Touring Capitol Reef

Story/Tip

As the third stop on our Grand Circle Tour, we arrived at Torrey, gateway to Capitol Reef, at noon. After a brief lunch, we headed out to Capitol Reef located about 10 miles away to the east. It was during this drive that I realized just how vast Capitol Reef really was. Even at 10 miles out, the reef was already present to the north. And it must stretch another tens of miles farther to the west beyond Torrey. And looking east towards the park, this reef extends even as far as my eyes could see. This reef, also referred to as the Waterpocket Fold, is enormous. As we drove to Capitol Reef, I was also surprised by the amount of flourishing wildlife and exquisite scenery in this a...Read More