Detroit Journals

Hometown Tourist

A travel journal to Detroit by catronma

Quote: I'm back in my hometown, well, home area. We have been to Hockeytown, Hard Rock, a few bars, and a casino or two.
If you can look past the not so nice neighborhood this is, it is a very good hotel. The neighborhood is not so bad that you should be worried about the infamous Detroit crack houses but it was highly under construction when we were there and very dimly light at night, you will also have to pay a valet parking as there is no parking around. On the good side the rooms were great, we just got a king room and you might have thought it was a suite, very spacious room with large window, sofa, and a rather large bathroom as well. There was also a large kitchen with fridge, microwave and sink, and some appliances. The room was clean and looked like it had been recently remodeled. The hotel had ...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 23, 2007

Holiday Inn Express Downtown
1020 Washington Blvd

Hockeytown Cafe

I love this place! The main-floor bar area is not to be missed, as it is the most unique bar I have ever seen, made of frosty metal to keep your drinks cool while you have them, and to look like a rink. There is Red Wings articles decorating the walls, like a Hard Rock Cafe for hockey fans. It's a must for all Red Wings fans as well! The Second City Comedy club is also downstairs, a popular comedy place in Detroit so if you have evening plans there this is perfect. Within walking distance to Downtown Detroit, Joe Louis, and across the street from Ford Field and the new tiger stadium, so it can and does get crowded before and after games.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on November 14, 2005

Hockeytown Cafe
2301 Woodward Ave.
Detroit, Michigan 48201
313/965-9500

Hard Rock Cafe

I actually had more fun here than I did in the clubs. The food and drinks are overpriced, of course, but I have to go to every Hard Rock there is to keep up on my glass collection. The decor is typical Hard Rock, but this one has a bit more of a warehouse feel than most others, with very high ceilings and a very open area. It was very crowded when we were there, so go early.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 14, 2005

Hard Rock Cafe
Renaissance Center

Greektown Casino

One thing my husband, the gambler, and I, the stingy one, did not like about all of the Detroit casinos was the table minimum. During the day it is $10, and after 10pm it jumps to $15. My husband, who won every time in Vegas at the tables, did not win a thing here. It also get crowded after about 10pm and is hard to find a spot at tables. For those who have been to and like the Vegas casinos, this is a disappointment; for those who just want to play, they are clean, have decently priced drinks, and a variety of games.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 14, 2005

Greektown Casino
555 East Lafayette
888-771-4386

The last time I was here it was getting a bit out of control with the crowds, they just keep expanding. There is just about every outlet here imaginable though. But a less crowded option is the outlets in Howell, MI and if you in the more western suburbs this is also much closer, just West on I96 between 30 and 60 minutes depending on where you are.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on January 17, 2007

Prime Outlets Birch Run
12240 South Beyer Road
Birch Run, Michigan 48415

The Henry Ford, Museum and Greenfield Village

Attraction | "Greenfield Village"

Please take my advice and do this in the warmer months! While this is a very nice place in around Christmas time it is COLD! And given that many of the buildings are still in their original state there is no heat or they are very drafty. This is a great place for history buffs and also popular for school field trips. There are many activities for kids, that vary throughout the year from hammering copper to making old fashioned baked goods. This can also be a nice place to relax in the summer with benches all over and some great cover from the many trees.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 17, 2007

The Henry Ford, Museum and Greenfield Village
20900 Oakwood Blvd.
Dearborn, Michigan 48124

Gem Theatre

Attraction | "Gem and Century Theaters"

The show that we saw, a play by Jeff Daniels, was fabulous, even my husband who is not a theater person had a good time, though I don't think it is running here anymore. The Century and Gem theaters are in the same building, our show was in the smaller Gem theater. it has table seating on the lower floor with 4 seats at each table and though there is no elevation to the tables you can see the stage from every seat in the house. The second floor is balcony theater style seating. The history behind the theaters is equally interesting. Built more than 100 years ago they were separate building purchased and moved together, underwent a restoration and are now theaters. Many of the original details are stil...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 23, 2007

Gem Theatre
333 Madison Ave.

Hart Plaza

Attraction | "Downtown Hoedown"

In my opinion this is not as good as the old Hot Country Jam but you will still get your music and beer! Hart Plaza and downtown Detroit is not where I would expect a country music festival to take place but Hart Plaza is a nice setting for such an event. The Plaza is situated right on the water with great views of Windsor and is also a nice place to walk if you want to get away for a few minutes. Hart plaza is also right downtown at Jefferson and Woodward and is within walking distance to the Ren Cen, Cobo Hall (which is a decent place to park for this) and all other downtown attractions. Maybe I am just a walker but I have walked from Fox Theater over to Hart Plaza and Cobo and do not th...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 30, 2007