Geneva Journals

How time does fly in Geneva!

An August 2000 trip to Geneva by EriksA1

Quote: Geneva is one of the prettiest and cleanest cities I have ever seen...and one of the friendliest especially for Europe.

How time does fly in Geneva!

Walking around the boardwalk, trying to order in a local (we are talking LOCAL) French speaking and Portugese speaking restaurant, swimming in Lake Geneva.

If you are swimming in Lake Geneva, be prepared, the most, uh, colorful locals visit there often.

Walking is by far the best way to get around, just get that fresh air and exercise!

Local Pub Restauant

Restaurant | "? Local Pub Restauant, I'm just telling a story"

This is one of the funniest dining experiences yet. My family and I were looking for this French restaurant recommended to us, but we couldn't find it, so we decided hey that little place over there looks good. So we walked in and like in the movies, the place stopped and looked at us. My daughter, the only one who speaks French asked if they were open for lunch, and they said yes. So we sit down and this guy comes over to take our order. My wife, and 2 kids each order a pizza, and I ordered some shrimp dish. Then the guy goes hold on, and gets a pen. We order again. Then he goes hold on, gets a pad of paper. We order again. Then he goes hold on, and goes outside, and returns with this local ...Read More

Local Pub Restauant
Geneva

Walking Tour

Attraction | "Walking around Geneva"

Walking around Lake Geneva is amazing! There is that big waterspout in the middle of the lake that is a sight to see, and the path winds all the way around the lake. Stop off at a cafe for a drink or lunch, or take a look at the shops. You can even take a dinner cruise on the lake, which looked pretty fun. The walking experience is all about taking in the culture and scenery, with the knowledge that the Alps are right over yonder hill, and home is miles away.

Walking Tour
Tourist Office and others

Lake Geneva/Lac Leman

Attraction | "Lake Geneva"

The actual swimming in Lake Geneva was great. The water is warm and clear, and there are soft pebbles in the shallows that won’t hurt your feet. However, this is no ordinary beach with sand, but rather little pebbles that lead up to...concrete! It has concrete ramps and floors that you can walk on around this complex. There is ping-pong and a little bar, and high dives and even higher dives! But the people are a sight to see. Even on concrete lake beaches, the women still go topless young or old, and there are a lot of tattooed and pierced guys, and guys wearing their Speedos. It costs money to get in, but not a lot, and is great for swimming, and good for people watching if you aren't squeamis...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on January 25, 2001

Lake Geneva/Lac Leman

Shopping

Attraction | "Stores in Geneva"

There are a lot of shops in Geneva where you can buy stuff that Switzerland is famous for: there are loads and loads of chocolate (my personal favorite brand is Cailler), coocoo clocks making noise, stuffed saint bernards with their little wine kegs, Swiss watches of great quality and swiss army knives for only a fraction of the cost that you can get them here. Fill your house with stuff that screams "I've been to Switzerland!"

Shopping