Orlando Journals

Orlando, the Best Kind of Tourist Trap

A September 2003 trip to Orlando by tweakers

Orlando Culinary Academy Photo, Orlando, Florida More Photos
Quote: I have lived in Orlando for 3 years, and I can tell you that there is so much to do, I have yet to get to everything.

Orlando, the Best Kind of Tourist Trap

If I were a tourist coming to Orlando, I would start on International Drive. There are lots of things to see here. Smaller themed attractions, like Skull Kingdom and the ever-popular Wet & Wild water park, are located on I-Drive. There are great outlet shops and restaurants all along I-Drive as well. While staying on I-Drive, I would visit the Universal Studios complex, which takes about 2 days. Then I would go to SeaWorld for a day. Finally, I would go down towards the Disney complex. Walt Disney World is actually about 20 miles south of downtown Orlando. Spend about 4 days seeing everything at Disney and then go home.Quick Tips: There is a visitor center on I-Drive where you can buy tro...Read More

Castle Hotel

Hotel | "The Castle Hotel on I-Drive"

The lobby is gorgeous in a fantasy-type way. We checked into our room and got a free upgrade for my birthday! Our suite was pretty much like a regular hotel room, but there were embellishments on the headboard and in the restroom. The pool area is very lovely, and the roof is also a very nice place to relax in the night hours. We enjoyed staying here because of the very large room and the very reasonable price. It is not right on I-Drive, but you can catch the trolley from this hotel to get you to the shops.

Castle Hotel
8602 REPUBLIC DR
Orlando, Florida 32821
407-345-1511

Passage to India

I ordered take-away, and it cost me over $30. I had one chicken entree and one spinach entree with rice and naan bread for this price. It was very tasty food, but very expensive. However, there is a limited number of Indian restaurants in Orlando, so you take what you can get.

Passage to India
6129 Westwood Blvd.
Orlando, Florida 32821

Orlando Culinary Academy Photo, Orlando, Florida
I attended school here. The restaurant is very lovely. All of the waitstaff and cooks are future chefs. The menu changes rather frequently, but everything has always been great! Don't be afraid to ask questions. They accept credit cards. Ask about the grande dessert buffet. It's only once every 6 weeks, but if you're there, you'll never forget it.

Orlando Culinary Academy
8511 Commodity Circle
Orlando, Florida 32819

Before we moved to Orlando, we stayed on Jamaican Circle off of International Drive. UNO is on the corner, and we just LOVED it! The food is good, and it's worth the price. We had wonderful and friendly waitstaff, which is so important.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on October 31, 2005

Pizzeria Uno Chicago Bar & Grill
5350 W Irlo Bronsn MMRL Hwy
Orlando, Florida 34746

Jiko - The Cooking Place

Restaurant | "Jiko-The Cooking Place"

Jiko - The Cooking Place Photo, Orlando, Florida
I worked at this restaurant. The food is African "inspired," though most of it is more Moroccan, in my opinion. The head chef, Annette, is very good at creating new menu items. She and her sous chefs like to meet customers, so ask. If you sit at the cooking place, you will be able to talk to chefs preparing appetizers. The ambience is worth taking in. Make sure you save room for dessert!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 31, 2005

Jiko - The Cooking Place
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Orlando, Florida 32830

Broadway NY Pizza

We always order from here. It's on the Orlando International Airport side of town, far away from the attractions. The wings are awesome! My husband loves their chicken parmesan, and I love the chef salad! Give them a call.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 31, 2005

Broadway NY Pizza
Curry Ford Road

Chillers

This is a cool four-story club. The first three floors are pretty smokey, but the roof is cool. They play different music on different floors. It can be a meat market because there are so many college-aged kids in Orlando, but it's fun. There are also a lot of gay people in Orlando, so if that's what you're looking for, just keep your eyes open. You never know!

Chillers
41 W. Church St.
407/649-4270

Parliament House

I'm not gay, and I didn't feel like I "fit in," but it might have been in my head. There are guys wearing only their underwear shaking what they got as soon as you walk in the door. It's fun and interesting. It's very interesting to people watch here, not to judge people, but just to see. I had a great time at this club, but I like techno. If you are not uncomfortable in a gay club, make sure to visit this one!

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on October 31, 2005

Parliament House
410 N Orange Blossom Trail

EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival

Attraction | "Walt Disney's Food & Wine Festival"

EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival Photo, Orlando, Florida
You pretty much have to enjoy wine and be a foodie to spend the extra cash at the Food & Wine Fest. It is held annually at Epcot Center from late September through mid-November. You pay regular admission price to get into the park (~$50), and then you walk around paying $4-$8 for a small plate of food and glass of wine at different booths. Each booth represents a region of wine and food, so it's interesting to try the different offerings. I don't know how people can manage to eat and drink all day, but hey, if that's your thing...

EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival