Rio de Janeiro Journals

My first international travel experience

An October 1996 trip to Rio de Janeiro by EriksA1

Quote: Before this trip I was an All American type guy: you know, chicken wings, Monday night football, bars. When I got an assignment with my job to go to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil I was excited but didn't know what to expect.

My first international travel experience

The highlight was the view from the big Christ statue, it is amazing.

Don't walk at night by yourself, the crime in Rio is heavy and the people from the hills like to pay a visit to get money from tourists who are alone.

The best way to get around is have a driver pick you up...driving in Rio is rough and tourists can get mugged or carjacked easily. Have a local contact.
The accommodations were excellent but very expensive. The scenery is beautiful, well worth the money. You can go right from the hotel to the beach, it is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

Caesar Park Ipanema
AVE VIEIRA SOUTO 460
Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
55-2125252525

Porcão

Restaurant | "Porcao"

This is the best barbecue you could ever hope to eat...better than Texas BBQ!!! The place I liked most was Porcao. You order and you expect to get a tiny American portion of ribs but they come out with this huge piece of meat on a skewer. They are jabbering at you in their little English and cut the meat for you...great!

Porcão
Rua Barão da Torre, 218
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 22411-000
+ 55 21 2554 8535

Attraction | "Ipanema"

Being a white guy, it was like wearing a big "tourist" sign on my head, because everyone there is dark skinned. But to me that was only a small drawback. I loved walking on Ipanema. It has pure white sand, green waves, there are people everywhere it is a great hangout place for young and old.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on January 24, 2001

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Corcovado

If you are ever in Rio, you have to go to this. It is a giant statue of Jesus Christ, overlooking the ocean and the city of Rio. You can see it from my hotel, it is behind it. When you are up there, it is breathtaking. You can see Sugarloaf too. The Sugarloafs are these great big hills or cliffs that come up from the sea it seems like.

Corcovado