Cusco Journals

Trapped in and around Cusco

A September 2005 trip to Cusco by davidx

Saqsaywaman Photo, Cusco, Peru More Photos
Quote: Trapped? Yes, in a way. We're a bit ancient to do the Inca Trail, so we were in Cusco while the rest of the group did it. Then we meant to meet them, but read on.

Trapped in and around Cusco

Plaza de Armas -  Jesuit Church Photo, Cusco, Peru
If you are going to be “trapped” anywhere, you will be pushed to beat Cusco as the perfect location. It was once the capital of the Incas and then was re-planned by the Spaniards to celebrate their triumph. There are any number of Inca walls in the city and at least two fine museums of different cultures leading up to the Incas. For those who have not been to any Inca site, what distinguishes them from the sites of earlier Peruvian cultures is the brilliant joining of large and asymmetrically shaped rocks without any gaps, the joins appearing to be made with giant rock-cutting cheese knives. Another feature is the way they blend into the natural environment, making earlier remains look as though they ...Read More

A Mi Manera

If you go up the street with the cathedral on your immediate left from the main plaza, after 1 block you will find A Mi Manera on your left. The food is described as Nouveau Andean, and that's fair enough. We had the final meal for our trip there, and you could have a problem with booking if many others do. I particularly enjoyed the ceviche, but beware if you don't like much chilli with it. For carnivores, alpaca steak is delicious and "safe." The management obtained a small but highly accomplished band at our request within minutes, but again, this might be easier for big groups. Anyway, it's an enjoyable place to eat. Second floor means one floor up - what we in England would call first floor.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on October 29, 2005

A Mi Manera
Triunfo 393, 2nd floor
084/243-629

If 'couch bar' means nothing to you, like it does for me, I can only say that it's about what it says. Most of the seats are couches. This was great for a group, as we were, but might be less good for those moved so that groups could sit on couches around the same table. The attitude is very relaxed, and there is a variety of snack-like foods, but in restaurant-like quantities. I particularly recommend the chilli rolls or the potato skins if you don't like your food too spicy hot.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 29, 2005

Los Perros Couch Bar
Tecsecocha 436

Saqsaywaman

Saqsaywaman Photo, Cusco, Peru
Sachsaywaman is an Inca fortress with massive “imported” rocks at the lowest level. These were used in combination with much smaller material at the next level and then smaller stones as you ascend. At the very top there’s a restricted zone with the foundations of what was clearly once a round tower. We went with our group to visit it and liked it so much that we decided to go again on our own on a free day. If you do this and want to wander without a guide, you will have to do a bit of beating off, but it’s well worth it. There were various kindergarten groups wandering past and enjoying having their photos taken as we enjoyed a leisurely picnic lunch. I didn’t get to Machu Picchu, b...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on October 26, 2005

Saqsaywaman
Outside Cusco

Q'enqo

Q'enqo Photo, Cusco, Peru
Q’enco is a lovely site that combines extensive use of the natural outcrop of rocks there with brilliant sculpture of a massive "imported" rock. As with prehistoric or historic sites elsewhere based on large rocks, there is a considerable mystery surrounding the methodology of the importation. The work carried out on the natural rocks is prodigious. One street went right through the rock and there was a tomb well underneath. As with all these sites, the photos explain far more clearly than words.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on October 26, 2005

Q'enqo
10 minutes outside Cusco towards Pisaq

Puka Pukara

Puka Pukara's name means the "Red Fort." As Inca sites in the area go, it is small and in itself not particularly impressive, but the view over the route from Cusco to the Sacred Valley of the Incas from the hilltop site makes it well worth a visit, which can easily be combined with one to Tambomachay.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 29, 2005

Puka Pukara
15 minutes outside Cusco towards Pisaq

Guinea Pig's Revenge 1

Story/Tip

I ate the beast Photo, Cusco, Peru
I ate guinea pig. From what my friends on the trip who had tried one elsewhere had to tell me, it should have been a great experience, a wonderful taste with delicious crackly skin. If only! Mine was eaten at a foul roadside "restaurant." By foul I mean foul. There were mangy dogs trotting by, scrounging. By roadside I mean roadside – by the side of the road – with just room for the mangy dogs to avoid being run over by the trucks that were scattering us in filth. By restaurant I don’t mean anything like a restaurant! As for the taste, it didn’t have much and the skin was like rubber. I think the beast might have died a natural death some time ago. That gave the great spirit guinea pig in th...Read More