Maui Journals

Maui on my Mind

An October 2005 trip to Maui by emptynest

Quote: There are dream vacations, and then there are vacations that never actually go away. Maui with my extended family is an experience that will be a part of us for a long time.

Maui on my Mind

We had a week on Maui and wanted to make it memorable. We were fortunate to have a lot of good advice from hotel staff and others we met on the island. Traveling with extended family meant that we had three couples and three of our three children who all had ideas of what to do on Maui. Luckily, we all agreed to the 'first' rule, which was no activities are mandatory group activities. The road to Hana was an incredible experience. We were challenged to drive it and 'conquer' it, and some of the men in our group were strongly opposed to any other means to Hana. We met a local who called it 'divorce highway,' and it was the title that changed the plan. We booked a tour with Ekahi Tours, and we...Read More

Ka'anapali Beach Hotel

Hotel | "Kaanapali Beach Hotel"

Before leaving (and after making the reservations) I read all of the reviews possible. I was not sure what to expect, since some were a bit discouraging. We visited many of the hotels along the beach while going for walks, and I would not have traded my experience for all of the glitz and glamour at the other hotels. The Kaanapali Beach Hotel is a special experience. If the goal of your trip is to have the perfect hotel room in the perfect building, then this is not the place for you. If your goal is to experience the beauty of the island, to experience local arts and crafts, and to feel like a part of a family, then this is the place. Sure, the rooms could be updated, but why? The view of t...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on October 23, 2005

2525 Kaanapali Parkway Lahaina
Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii 96761

Gazebo

Restaurant | "The Gazebo"

This is a local place known for breakfast. The line starts early (once you find the place in the back of a parking lot for condos). We waited for about an hour in on/off showers. We milled around the pool for the condo complex feeling like we were intruding, but I am sure that the residents were used to this. The place is known for macadamia nut pancakes. I thought they were wonderful; after waiting an hour, I was almost ready for anything, but these came, and they were sweet and filling and crunchy, and I realized I would wait all over again if I had the chance.

Gazebo
5315 Lower Honoapi'ilani Road
808/669-8061

Hula Grill Kaanapali Beach

Restaurant | "Hula Grill"

The Hula Grill and Hula Bar on the beach at Ka'anapali were one of the best meals during our week on Maui. We chose the grill vs. the bar because the menu options were more varied at the grill, but we would like to try the Hula Bar at some point too. I had macademia nut-crusted fish, and it was wonderful. I had similiar dishes at other restaurants, and this by far was the tastiest. Crisp (baked, not fried) crust with a delicate fish. The view of the sunset was great, and being able to sit outside to watch this unfold in front of us was the best.

Hula Grill Kaanapali Beach
Whaler's Village
Lahaina, Hawaii 96761

The hotel package for us offered free breakfast at the "Mixed Plate". Each day was a different cuisine: Japanese, Portuguese, American, and Pacific Rim. Food is cafeteria-style/buffet-style and all-you-can-eat. The fruit was always fresh and plentiful; some days there was Portuguese sausage, while other days there was fish, eggs and sausage, waffles, or French toast--a variety that never ended. Daily there was bread pudding and oatmeal. If it was not good, we would not have gone more than one time, but this was a local attraction. Every day, there were locals there eating with the hotel guests, leading us to believe this really is a good place.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 23, 2005

Ka'anapali Mixed Plate
800/262-8450

Leilani's on the Beach

Restaurant | "Lelanis"

On the beach, the sun, the sound of the surf, the burgers are GREAT, and the service is GREAT. What else can you ask for? Our only wish was that we had 'discovered' this place earlier in our trip so we could go back.

Leilani's on the Beach
2435 Kaanapali Parkway

Maui Tropical Plantation & Country Store

Attraction | "Maui Tropical Plantation"

It is a one-stop place to purchase wild Hawaiian shirts and fresh pineapple. There is also a tour that shows how the crops are grown, from the coffee to the pineapple, and it was educational for midwesterners like us to learn that pineapples grow underground! It isn't anything that would be a must-see more than one time, but it was interesting once.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on October 23, 2005

Maui Tropical Plantation & Country Store
1670 Honoapi'ilani Highway
Maui, Hawaii 96793
808/244-7643

Road to Hana

Story/Tip

We used the Ekahi Tours to experience the Road to Hana after hearing that the alternate name for the road is 'divorce highway'. The alternate name comes from couples driving the curvy, narrow roads, drivers rarely can take their eyes from the road to “look at the beautiful…” After 25 years of marriage, we felt that although our marriage is stable, it might be nice to both enjoy the sights. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and friendly. He also was able to express to us his pride in his homeland and his desire to teach tourists about the Hawaiian culture and the land. He was open about his frustration with natives and mainlanders alike wanting to make the island one big resort. He graciously sh...Read More