Santiago de Compostela Journals

Graceful Galicia

A June 2004 trip to Santiago de Compostela by dj_canela

Santiago De Compostela Cathedral Photo, Santiago de Compostela, Spain More Photos
Quote: You don't have to be Catholic to appreciate the final destination of the legendary medieval way of pilgrimship. Pay a visit to this university town, famed for its traditional seafood specialties and its emphasis on ancient Celtic ties. You will leave entranced by the rich cultural history.

Graceful Galicia

Santiago De Compostela Photo, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Santiago de Compostela has been hosting visitors for so long, it boasts the oldest hotel in the world. It is considered the third holiest Catholic city after Jerusalem and Rome. The Old Quarter is full of windy, narrow streets and glistening facades from the local granite. You will find the town symbol, scallop shells (representing St James), hanging from walking sticks (symbol of the pilgrim), along with miniature versions of the gigantic botafumeiro (incense burner) that hangs in the cathedral, lining the souvenir shops. Though it's not known for it's nightlife, the university brings a youthful vibe to Santiago.Quick Tips: Seafood is best in northern Spain. Many res...Read More

Husa Santiago Apostol

Hotel | "Hotel Husa Santiago Apostol"

I booked this hotel online with Orbitz just 2 days prior to arrival. It's located outside of town but is easy to access by public transportation (a bus stop in the hotel parking lot) or taxi. It is located on the Camino de Santiago, so you will see pilgrims on foot as they approach their final destination. There is a restaurant on-site and the front desk is noticeably helpful. The only drawback would be the noise from the highway. But this can be resolved by wearing the ear plugs and eye mask that came with your transatlantic flight!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 20, 2005

Husa Santiago Apostol
Cuesta De San Marcos 1
Santiago De Composte 15820
34 981 557155

L'Incontro

The owners are Italian and the hostess spoke fluent Spanish, English, Italian, and German. My favorite dish was the pasta in a broccoli cream sauce. Service is excellent and the dining area overlooks a small courtyard.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 20, 2005

L'Incontro
Rúa do Franco, 50
Santiago de Compostela , Spain
00 34 981 585 975

Unwilling Pilgrim

Story/Tip

Santiago De Compostela Cathedral Photo, Santiago de Compostela, Spain
During this trip to Europe, we visited Vezelay, where the remains of Mary Magdalene are housed. We continued our route through San Sebastian onward to Santiago de Compostela. It wasn't until we reached Santiago that I realized we had traveled the same route as the pilgrims. What I remember most from this trip was when I entered the cathedral and looked up at the interior of the dome. I have never seen the eye in the pyramid in a church, and I wasn't sure if it frightened me or fascinated me. My curiosity led me to an Internet search of the cathedral, including a few books on the secret societies of those times.