San Francisco Journals

Indian Summer in California

A September 2005 trip to San Francisco by esthergoes

Vesuvio Photo, San Francisco, California More Photos
Quote: Everytime I return to the Bay Area, I carry a mental list of places where I have to eat. These are restaurants that are indigenous to the Bay and are foods I crave while living in New York. The following are must-dos.

East Ocean Seafood Restaurant Alameda

Restaurant | "East Ocean Seafood Restaurant"

After parking our car on the street, we immediately enter the restaurant with the goal of making a straight beeline for the hostess counter. We wade through a crowd of people waiting for their tables while looking over the table display of people already seated. From the front door of East Ocean, I recognize the same large woman (owner’s daughter) who has been serving me my wait ticket for the past 8 years. I retreat back to my group to patiently wait for my number to be called. Although the crowd made me believe that our wait would be long, it was only after 5 minutes that I heard "number 43". East Ocean is the best dim sum between the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. The definiti...Read More

East Ocean Seafood Restaurant Alameda
1713 Webster Street
510/865-3381

Vesuvio

Vesuvio Photo, San Francisco, California
Vesuvio has San Francisco history, character, and charm. Walking into this watering hole is like walking into a story book - random art, photos, decals on the wall, ceiling, floor. Mismatching bar furniture brings out its character further, while super-nice bartenders and cheap drinks keep you coming back.

Read about Vesuvio's elaborate history: www.vesuvio.com

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 30, 2005

Vesuvio
255 Columbus Ave
415/362-3370

North Beach

Attraction | "San Francisco North Beach"

North Beach Photo, San Francisco, California
Standing on a small concrete island at the intersection of Columbus and Broadway, you have your strip clubs, your Italian coffee and pastry shops, Vesuvio and Tosca, Transamerica Building, Flatiron building, and views of the financial district of San Francisco with smells from Chinatown just 1 block away. Where else in the world can you stand on one street corner with a plethora of culture and history within a 2-block radius? Depending on the direction I decide to head, I can be enjoying Chinese dumplings or sticking dollar bills down strippers’ thongs.

North Beach
Broadway and Columbus

Tosca Cafe

Attraction | "Tosca"

Depending on the night that you go, Tosca can be a trendy hang out or a dive full of locals. One thing is for certain--a secret back room hosts local Bay Area celebs, such as Sharon Stone, who frequent Tosca. For local celebrity sightings, this is the place to be.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 30, 2005

Tosca Cafe
242 Columbus Avenue
415/986-9651

Golden Gate Bridge

Attraction | "The Golden Gate Bridge"

Golden Gate Bridge Photo, San Francisco, California
Having grown up in Marin County, driving on the Golden Gate Bridge to San Francisco was a part of my daily routine. Even still, every single time I go back to San Francisco, I am awed and taken aback when I cross the Golden Gate Bridge. The views are amazing as I enter the tunnel on the Marin side to appear before a scene with sails swimming in the Bay waters, high bridge towers, and lush greenery that frames everything together.

Golden Gate Bridge
San Francisco Bay

Japantown

Japantown Photo, San Francisco, California
San Francisco’s Japantown isn't the most expansive Japantown I've seen. In fact, many of its businesses cater to Korean consumers. Nonetheless, exploring the shops at Japantown Center is always a treat. Restaurant Row’s outside-inside theme tries to makes you feel like you're strolling through a narrow ally in Japan.

Isobune Sushi claims to be the first sushi house with a boat. You have to try the red bean-filled fish pastries.

Unfortunately, the center resembles a ghost town, even on a Sunday. As a child, we spent our weekends at Japantown Center because there was so much to do. It was kinda sad to see how bad business was for the shopkeepers.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 4, 2005