Cave-in-Rock Journals

Family Fun

A July 2005 trip to Cave-in-Rock by ramcgraw

Cave-in-Rock Lodge Photo, Cave-in-Rock, Illinois More Photos
Quote: If you are looking for a secluded vacation spot for a few days, Cave-In-Rock is the place for you.
Cave-in-Rock Lodge Photo, Cave-in-Rock, Illinois
The lodge is actually only a restaurant and gift shop. The rooms are small cabins overlooking the Ohio River. Our cabin was divided into two sides. We rented only one, however. Our cabin had two double beds, a television, a table and chairs, a microwave and mini-fridge, and a great deck with chairs for viewing the river. The room and bathroom are slightly larger than a standard hotel room.

New State Park Rd.
Cave-in-Rock, Illinois 62919

Cave-in-Rock Lodge

Restaurant | "Cave-in-Rock Lodge/Gee Jay's/Duttons"

I put all three under one because they are the only three restaurants in town. Two are within a block of each other, and the other is in the state park about a half-mile away. All three are family-style diners. The food was great for the price. All had homemade desserts, too.

Tower Rock

Tower Rock Photo, Cave-in-Rock, Illinois
The climb is very steep with switchbacks but it is only 1/8 of a mile. The view at the top is a panorama of the Ohio River and the fields of Kentucky looking across. There are sturdy rails at the top but keep children from running. We had my 3- and 10-year-old nieces with us that both did fine, but they are old enough to listen too.

Tower Rock
Shawnee National Forest

Garden of the Gods

Garden of the Gods Photo, Cave-in-Rock, Illinois
I was so impressed by the Garden of the Gods that I took 30 some odd pictures. The rock formations and drop-offs are just breathtaking. Once again, I was with my 3- and 10-year-old nieces and they did fine. The 3-year-old wanted to be a little more adventurous than we let her, but I climbed a little with the 10-year-old. She made me just a little nervous. Parents, just be very aware if you take young children here. There are drop-offs within about 50 feet of the trail. I wouldn't take anyone so young that they couldn't follow immediate instructions. For older kids and adults, you can climb around on the rocks and even take trails down into the valley. It is very hard to describe this place in w...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on September 10, 2005

Garden of the Gods
Shawnee National Forest

Cave-in-Rock State Park

Attraction | "Cave-in-Rock Cave"

Cave-in-Rock State Park Photo, Cave-in-Rock, Illinois
The cave is really more of a cavern in the side of the bluff looking out on the Ohio River. The cave was used by pirates and scoundrels to rob people going up and down the river in the past. If you stay in the lodge, they have a 1-hour History Channel documentary on the cave in each room. The cave itself is not all that impressive, but you should see it if you are in the town of Cave-in-Rock. It is the town's namesake. It is free to go into the cave and there isn't much exploring to do. My nieces loved climbing around on the sides of the cave, which have been eroded away by flood water. From the top of the bluff, you can look down through a grate into the cave. Inside the cave, if you look up,...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on September 10, 2005