Wales Journals

A Weekend in Wales

An August 2005 trip to Wales by HF Hobson

Henrhyd Falls Photo, Powys, Wales More Photos
Quote: I met my friend from New York City in the town of Cheltenham in southern England, and we road tripped out west to the Brecon Beacons National Park in Wales. It was four days of pub food, rolling hills, good company, and big sky.

A Weekend in Wales

I arrived at London's Gatwick airport midmorning on a Saturday. I picked up my rental car and headed towards the town of Cheltanham. My goal was to get to the Thistle Hotel, where I would meet my former coworker/travel buddy for 4 days of automotive exploration in southern England and Wales. Learning to drive on the wrong side of the car and the opposite side of the street was simple. Navigating my way out of London was a snap, but relying on MapQuest to get me to the hotel was a mistake. I spent much of my day lost in the beautiful English countryside. Many hours later, I made it to the Thistle. My friend had left a message for me at the front desk....Read More

Craig-y-nos Country Park

Hotel | "Craig-y-Nos Castle"

Craig-y-nos Country Park Photo, Swansea, Wales
Best Things Nearby:The National Showcaves, the Cefn-yr-Erw Primate Sanctuary, and Henrhyd FallsBest Things About the Resort: Resort Experience:With its stunning location and the carefully preserved ambience of a Welsh castle Craig-y-Nos, offers visitors a unique experience, whether it be just enjoying an overnight stay or as a guest at a major function. Unit Type: Other Activities: Excellent Amenities: Good Unit Satisfaction: Very Good Family Friendliness: Very Good Servic...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 25, 2005

Brecon Rd.
Swansea, Wales SA9 1GL

Craig-y-nos Country Park Photo, Swansea, Wales
It's an easy stroll good for all ages and abilities. The trail takes you over bridges, through fields, and under hammocks of hardwoods. It's a great place for a picnic.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 24, 2005

Brecon Rd.
Swansea, Wales SA9 1GL

This is the only pub in the neighborhood. It's called the Admiral or the Admiralty or something. On Sundays, they don't serve food after 6pm. There is no market, so if you want dinner, get it early!

But that's the charm of this place. It's isolated. It's a retreat. As my friend and I were walking down Brecon Road, picking ripe blackberries from the bushes on the side, we chatted with a couple from the town. Then we bumped into them at the pub. It was lovely.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 24, 2005

Henrhyd Falls

Story/Tip

Henrhyd Falls Photo, Powys, Wales
The car park is at the top of the falls. There are various ways to hike in, but all lead down steep trails into a valley where the falls pour into the stream known as Nant Llech. You can walk behind the falls and feel the mist.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 24, 2005